Bleeding Black Fondant?

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:14am by TexasSugar

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 6

I just got an order for a wedding cake the is white with black circles on it. I am concerned that if I make the black fondant myself, that it will bleed onto the white. I could black buy the wilton at Michael's but you only get a little bit. If I order it online, I have to pay like $10 shipping just for 2#! SO... does anyone know of a way to keep the black from bleeding, or should I just break down and order it? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 6

Why don't you color a small piece of fondant black and see if it bleeds?

Personally, I would buy colored fondant and make sure I charged accordingly.

Minette
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 6

I made black and red fondant (homemade) for some dummy cakes for the ices convention last year. They were in a very humid room for several days and I still have them over a year later and they have not bleed at all. Just do not use alot of liquid to attach them and you should be fine.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 6

out of curiosity, what kind of icing coling do you use? I have been using the Wilton, but have been thinking about trying other brands. I hear that the Americolor Super Black works well.

hollyw567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyw567 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #5 of 6

I have used home colored black fondant on white fondant, as well, and it did not bleed. Like an above post, only use a small dab of liquid to attach it and it should be okay.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 6

I used Americolor that time, but I have used Wilton black to color premade fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%