Any Thoughts On How To Make This In To A Cake??

Decorating By born2bake Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm by veejaytx

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 19

A friends is buying this for her daughter's birthday party and was wondering if this could be made into a cake or some how do an under the sea type creatures cake.

Thanks!

B2B
LL

18 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 19

not sure how many you need to feed, but you could use the wonder mold, just carve the top to round it, then use fondant to make the tentacles. OR you could stack 6"rounds and use 1/2 the ball pan for the rounded top. totally cute. can't wait to see your finished product.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 19

I would use gum paste or candy clay for the tentacles. Fondant, I don't think, would be firm enough.

Should be cute!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with everyone else. I bet it will be a really cool cake!

Yoliebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yoliebean Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 19

I agree with the rest. Can't wait to see the finished cake!

Yolanda

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 19

probably a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix would be best.. it will give you time to shape it but still dry quickly.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 19

I believe you could also use RKT for the tentacles.

Chini3458 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chini3458 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 19

I'm attempting a similar cake in August for my cousins baby. She is doing the same theme. PInk Cake Box has this cake that I will "TRY" to make but will be changing the colors, etc. I was planning on doing 50 /50 mix as mentioned above. Good Luck! Please post cake!
LL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 19

If you used the 3-d egg pan and cut the narrower end, you'd achieve body closer to the water squirter. I would use either sharpened dowels or two skewers to pipe with RI or form with gumpaste/fondant, the upper part of the tenacles. The part closest to the body I would either form with cake and ice or just pipe them with stiffened icing. When ready to assemble, place the upright part of the tenacles at the end of the part closest to the body and blend in the intersections

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 19

For some reason, the whole page won't load so someone may have already suggested this, but if they haven't icon_biggrin.gif - I'd use the heaviest gauge of floral wire you can find to make yourself an armature; bend lengths of it into the tentacle shape and cover it with whatever medium you're going to use (candy clay, fondant, etc.). That's gonna be a really cute cake!

born2bake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #11 of 19

WOW!! All great ideas. I can only hope I can live up to this and make you proud, but I'm up for the challenge.

SugarPlumFairy - what is RKT??

Love the picture of the blue octopus cake. That gives me other options with the tentacles going down the side of the cake if I can make them bend and look good like the picture.

Thank you all and keep your fingers crossed!

B2B

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #12 of 19

Well I'm not sugarplumfairy, but RKT = Rice Krispy Treats.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #13 of 19

Thanks, Mindy. Figures.... once the kids and hubby are home, it's like trying to use a public restroom to get onto the computer. The line goes out the door. icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif
icon_lol.gif

mindywith3boys Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #14 of 19

LOL!! Yes, I feel your pain! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #15 of 19

I would make a 10" cake and then use the sports ball pan to make the octopus on top. Then the tentacles could hang over the edge of the 10" round. I would use 50/50 for the tentacles. I'm not that good with RKT.
Good luck.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:13am
post #16 of 19

Here are a couple of cakes from CC members.
The first is one I've seen in a Wilton book.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=54438

and the second has the right shape you are looking for.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1176792

born2bake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 19

Found out today the customer has changed her mind on wanting the octopus cake and is now going with a fish cake. In fact, she sent me a copy of the invitation she'll be sending out and asked me to make it. Here's the picture:

http://www.finestationery.com/product.cfm?prod_id=34501&cm_thiscategory=3000001&cat_id=0&subcat_id=0&cat=0

I'm going to try and carve this out of a 2 layered sheet cake and use BC to frost. We'll see what happens.

B2B

born2bake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 19

Found out today the customer has changed her mind on wanting the octopus cake and is now going with a fish cake. In fact, she sent me a copy of the invitation she'll be sending out and asked me to make it. Here's the picture:

http://www.finestationery.com/product.cfm?prod_id=34501&cm_thiscategory=3000001&cat_id=0&subcat_id=0&cat=0

I'm going to try and carve this out of a 2 layered sheet cake and use BC to frost. We'll see what happens.

B2B

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 19

The fish is really cute, but the octopus had a lot more character! Too bad, it would have been a great cake!

Have fun with the fish, will still be looking forward to the finished product. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%