Lemon Buttercream

Decorating By jmabaxter Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 1:08am by jmabaxter

jmabaxter Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 5

If I add lemon juice to my buttercream will it need to be refrigerated?

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on the recipe, the addition of lemon juice should not make it require refrigeration.

kbrown99 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

I actually used to add a little lemon juice to my buttercream in order to cut the sweetness. I never really tasted the lemon. I'm wondering if you would be better off using a lemon extract or a lemon oil for flavor. I'm just afraid you're going to have to add way too much lemon juice in order to get the flavor you want. Plus, depending on what color you are going to want eventually, the acid in the lemon juice can affect it. For example, if you are trying for purple, I think you end up getting red or pink. HTH

lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 5

If you find that it's not "lemony" enough with just the lemon juice, I would suggest you add some oil or extract. My number one requested bc flavor in the summer is lemon and the only change I make to my normal bc recipe is to add lemon oil as the flavoring.

jmabaxter Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your responses....I'll try adding some lemon juice and if that's not lemony enough then I'll get some lemon extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%