Mmf - Did I Do Something Wrong?

Baking By ThreeDGirlie Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:45am by shigo

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 9

I made my first fondant yesterday - MMF that I found a recipe for on this site. I have heard that it tastes better than some other fondants (I've only had Wilton when my mom used it years ago, and I know it's gross). Well, the best way I can describe how my MMF tastes is to say it tastes EXACTLY like those orange "circus peanuts" that I ate as a kid.

Is is supposed to taste like this? Any suggestions to make it taste better?

Thanks!

8 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 9

What flavorings did you use? If you mean texture-wise, circus peanuts pretty much sums it up but not flavor. I will use vanilla and almond in mine.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 9

Is it the flavor that you do not like ? and that is why you said you did something wrong ? If it came out perfect, texture and everything except the taste, then there is really nothing wrong with it.. you can use other flavors. So many to choose from. But think about it though, powdered sugar + marshmallow = something candy like sweetness . How did you expect it to taste ?

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

I was a fondant virgin, what can I say? The flavor and texture were about like circus peanuts, yep. But when rolling it out, I did get a nice glossy sheen. That said, with the way it tastes unflavoerd, I can't imagine covering a cake in it.

So what flavors do you add? Do you use regular flavoring, or the more concentrated candy flavorings? How much flavoring for a 3 lb. batch of fondant?

Thanks!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 9

I made my first batch today! I am afraid I mixed too much sugar in it and now it is dry... I don't know... it is so different than regular fondant.

anyway... I put some vanilla extract in mine and I didn't think it tasted bad. I do agree with you that I don't how well it would taste on a cake... we shall see. I am also thinking of trying the rolled buttercream.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 9

It tastes fine on the cake. With the buttercream underneath, it all goes together fine. I roll mine pretty thin though, so it's just like a wrapper on the buttercream, not like it's own layer.

You can flavor MMF with lorann oils, or wilton candy flavorings or other flavoring oils. I like to flavor it with orange oil and put it on a vanilla cake...tastes like dreamsicle popsicles to me.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 9

has anyone ever tried adding glycerin to the MMF? I'm wondering if it might help with the elasticity. thought i'd check before trying it myself. Thanks!!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

I used to use MMF, I agree the flavor is much like circus peanuts. Don't get me wrong I love CANDY but it is a little strange on a cake. I switched to michele foster's fondant. The texture is better & I love the flavor. It's still sweet using the con. sugar, but it's more icing like on count of the same ingredients. Using vanilla & almond extract together I think is the best combination.

shigo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shigo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:45am
post #9 of 9

I've never tried making other fondants, it has always been MMF for me. Personally, I love the way it tastes---tastes like marshamallows to me! I just use vanilla flavor with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%