Fake Cakes/fake Fruit

Decorating By nicki9774 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm by nicki9774

nicki9774 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 3

Couple questions

For those of you who do fake wedding cakes, do you charge the customer as if it were a real one? I have a friend who is a florist and tells everyone I do fake cakes but it costs about the same to do the fake as the real? She was hoping I'd make more money and it seems that I make more money do the real cake.

Next I'm doing a wedding in August with fake fruit in hurricane lamps with some tulle where can I get cheaper fake fruit? Looking mostly for raspberries and blueberries. Any help is appreciated.

2 replies
Toptier Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 3

I think the only time people can make money with fake cakes is when the same one is rented out time after time. Making a custom fake cake is almost as much work as doing a real one but once it's done you can use it over and over so you just rent it to the bride and groom and hope you can fine someone else who wants to do the same thing. There are some websites that do this and they ship'em all over the country. Then you ship 'em back.

You can find cheap fake fruit at Michael's.

nicki9774 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 3

I'm looking for raspberries and blueberries, Hobby Lobby only has strawberries. Do they carry those too?
My friend is a florist and keeps telling everyone I do fake cakes I told her that is fine, but it cost as much as a real one. Unless they want to do a simple stacked and add flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%