Melting Frosting! Help!!

Decorating By kobesmom81 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm by kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kobesmom81 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 8

I've been using the receipe from the back of my C&H Powdered sugar box to make frosting for my various little projects. But I live in Central Cali and its very hot and my kitchen stays pretty warm most of the time so when I am decorating with my frosting it tends to melt and slide and my stars start to look like little globs! Is there anything I can add to my frosting to keep this from happening? As soon as everything is complete it goes in the fridge, but sometimes its too late. I let everything cool off before I decorate, I keep the frosting in the fridge until it is ready to be used, I have even tried decorating in the middle of the night when its cooler. Nothing is working! Please help! icon_mad.gif

7 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not familiar with the recipe, can you please post it?

You can always add more powdered sugar to help stiffen it up.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 8

It's an all butter recipe and is not going to hold up to the heat. I'm in SoCal so I know. You are going to have to use a Crisco or Hi-Ratio based recipe. Sorry...no matter how much PS you use, it's not going to be anything that is going to work...you will end up with a really SWEET mess but nothing palitable.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 8

is this the recipe you use:

To a full 1-lb. box of C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar, simply add 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick), ¼ cup of milk, and 1 tsp. of vanilla.

if so it may be WAY too thin, and an all butter buttercream WILL melt.

You can try to add a bit more ps or a tad less milk. Try adding the milk a little bit at a time until you get a thicker frosting than you typically do. Mayber that will help.

HTH

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 8

If that's the recipe I'm thinking of, the fat is butter only. In order to hold up in the heat you will need to replace some of the butter with shortening. I've found that you only need to replace about 1/3 of the butter with shortening and the frosting will hold up much better and yet still taste nice.

HTH

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

Try this...

Makes 6 cups

2 cups Crisco shortening
1 stick butter, slightly soft but NOT mushy
OR USE 3 CUPS OF CRISCO AND NO BUTTER FOR THE FIRMEST RECIPE
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp clear Vanilla or (1 tsp vanilla, + 2 tsp butter + 1/2 tsp Almond) This is how I use it!!
2 lbs (cups) powdered sugar, sifted (measure, then sift)
2 tbs meringue powder, optional - add only if you want the buttercream to crust

In your mixer bowl, beat the shortening until it's smooth, add the butter and beat together until smooth and light and fluffy. Add smaller amount of the cream plus your extracts and mix well.

Add half the powder sugar and mix for 5 minutes on low-med speed. Add the remaining sugar and mix well. Add more cream or powdered sugar to adjust the consistency.

USE IMMEDIATELY! Its easiest to smooth when fresh. I use the HOT spatula. If you store it, be sure to beat it vigorously before using it to take away the spongy texture!! Good luck and let me know how it works out for you!!!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

i have to agree with the pp, any recipe that uses all butter (and sometimes even 1/2 butter) is going to melt. i use indydebi's recipe on here (and tweak the flavors a bit) and NEVER have my icing melt.

its awesome and tastes SOOOO good (try it with almond extract - OMG, heaven in an icing!)

kobesmom81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kobesmom81 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for your help! I am working on a few projects this weekend so I do an update on Monday on how they turned out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%