Low Cost Goodies

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm by maryjsgirl

maryjsgirl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 10

I have an opportunity to sell baked goods in a large Bingo parlor every Wednesday and Friday. My MIL have been friends with the owners for years and she was the one who really got the ball rolling on everything. They are allowing me to use their kitchen and giving me a table to do with whatever I want. The only other food that is sold are chicken dinners from a church group and meals from a Mexican restaurant. The two always sell out. Neither provide any desserts.

So I am trying to come up with ideas for goodies that are very low cost to make. Right now cupcakes are a definite. I am going to start out with more basic cupcakes (vanilla, chocolate, coconut, strawberry shortcake). I will also be doing simple, iced sugar cookies.

I would love any ideas or input on this new venture.

I would also love any inexpensive ideas to make my table look nice.

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 10

How about brownies, cobblers, fruit crisps, muffins?

leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 10

Definitely brownies. I'd say anything that can be eaten out of hand without a fork. Cookies like Snickerdoodles, chocolate chip, oatmeal, peanut butter.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 10

These are the best and super easy to make!

Chocolate peanutbutter cup brownies:

1 box brownie mix
1 bag of mini peanut butter cups

Make the brownie mix however the directions say to make it. In a mini muffin pan, put liners, fill half with brownie batter and then push in a peanut butter cup. This should rise the batter to almost the top of the cup. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. The pb cups will look loose when they come out, but they'll set as they cool.

After cooled, sprinkle with some powdered sugar and serve!!

They're super yummy....try not to eat them all before they sell thumbs_up.gif

Valli_War Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 10

Biscotti sells good too. How about selling coffee and Tea with that if it is not available over there. Lot of people drink hot tea or coffee with dessert.

Valli_War Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 10

You can also buy candy bars like hersy bar, fruit and nut bar, peanut butter cups and try to sell them for a profit until you know how the mentality of the folks over there is. I have seen the packs of 36 bars for about 10-12 bucks in BJS, sams etc. If you sell each for a buck, you are making lot more profit this way than selling your baked goods. Just a suggestion. Ofcourse, they might not allow you to do it if they have a wending machine.

littlecake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 10

lemon bars.....pecan bars...yummy!

leily Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 10

Oh don't forget rice krispy treats. They are always big around here and they can definitely be eaten and carried around easily.

To do something a little more you could put a chocolate layer on top with other items like caramels or my favorite red hots

akgirl10 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:01am
post #9 of 10

I second rice krispy treats, peanut butter ones are good, especially if they have a few m&ms on top.

maryjsgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks ladies! I started last night and sold out of everything, but my coconut cupcakes. Since it was my first night I just made cupcakes (choc, vanilla, strawberry shortcake, coconut, choc high hats), mini rum cakes, snickerdoodles, and frosted sugar cookies.

The strawberry shortcakes and snickerdoodles sold out before the first hour.

I kept the cost and labor down by using Rich's Bettercreme instead of regular buttercream.

Friday I think I will try some better than sex, red velvet, and lemon cupcakes along with the strawberry.

Maybe some mini pineapple upside down cakes?

I was also thinking of selling banana pudding in lidded soufflé cups.

I will definitely be offering brownies and lemon bars too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%