Contracts

Business By sharlene_marie Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm by JoAnnB

sharlene_marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlene_marie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hey, my name is Sharlene. I am still semi-new to selling cakes. I have only sold cakes to friends and family. I am thinking about starting a cake business soon and am going to school next Fall for Pastry Arts. I have a friend I am doing a wedding cake for and was wondering if anyone had a Contract Template I can go by or direct me in the right direction. I just don't wanna get stuck with a cake that i worked my butt off and something happen. I was also wondering how much of a deposit to require for this event. 50% down, the rest later. I'm unsure and would greatly appreciate input.

5 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

Sharlene --

Welcome to CC!

Here's a modified contract I use with larger cake orders. I am sure many other CC members can provide ideas as well.

Petit-four

Policies for Wedding Cakes and Tiered Cakes:

o  Most Wedding Cakes and Tiered Cakes require one monthâs advance notice; a longer lead time is suggested for events from April to early October to ensure availability.
o  [business name] will deliver and set up the cake. Tiered cakes require a sturdy, level display table.
o  Access to the event site is required two hours before the special event. Please provide the event location, the site managerâs name, and site phone number at the time of your order. Please understand [business name] cannot assume responsibility for cakes after set-up.
o  Cutting diagrams are provided to the site manager to ensure the correct number of servings. Please understand it is your responsibility to ask your caterer to serve different cake flavors, if ordered.
o  Cakes are best displayed in a cool, indoor location. Be sure to refrigerate leftovers. [business name] reserves the right to substitute fillings, icings, or decorations in high humidity or warm weather conditions.
o  We will blend colors to harmonize with your sample, but due to the nature of food-safe colorings, exact matches are not always possible. Some deeper shades do not appear attractive against a pure white cake.
o  Cake Toppers: We ask that you deliver your safely boxed cake topper to us when you place your order. Please note cake toppers risk being damaged during any special event. Please consider this if you plan to use an heirloom or one-of-a-kind cake topper. [business name] cannot assume responsibility for cake toppers after the cake is assembled.
o  Fresh Flowers as Cake Decorations: Please ensure that pesticide-free flowers, of the correct size and arrangement, are ordered and delivered to the site location prior to cake set-up. We may not be able to wait for late floral deliveries. Your understanding is appreciated.
o  Wedding Cakes and Tiered Cakes have a 25% non-refundable deposit. The deposit is due upon placing the order, and no later than two weeks before the delivery date. Final payment for Wedding Cakes and Tiered Cakes is due 7 days in advance of delivery. Please make checks payable to [business name].
o  Please remember it is your responsibility to verify information on the order form (event date and time, phone numbers, colors, names, monograms, etc.). Please double-check all information.

Please sign and date to indicate that you understand and accept these policies. Thank you for considering [business name] for your special event!

Name: __________________________________________________________________  Date: ________________________
Name: __________________________________________________________________  Date: ________________________

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 6

Here's a thread with several contracts:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586999-contract.html

With weddings and new clients I always require 50% deposit, the rest due 2 weeks before the event.

sharlene_marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlene_marie Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the information! icon_biggrin.gif

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 6

I just asked about cake contracts and a lot of people are saying you have to be legal to even do a contract as far as having a legal business and not just doing it on the side.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 6

You can write a contract but it won't hold up if you don't have a legal business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%