I'm Confused! Which Way Is Correct?

Decorating By Sweetpeazmom Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm by awolf24

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 14

I had some left over cake scraps and decided I would try to make the cake balls everyone raves about. When I looked for the directions/recipe, I found that some use liquid creamer as the glue and some use buttercream icing. Which way is the best way...or does it really matter? Is it a matter of taste? Thanks for any advice.

13 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 14

Just a matter of preference or convenience but either work fine! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 14

I love the chocolate cake cake balls with cream cheese icing binder icon_wink.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks awolf24. I'll have to try it both ways and see which way works best for my taste.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 14

I think it's a matter of taste. At my house, we like white or yellow cake with creamer and then dipped in chocolate. Using BC makes them too thick and sweet for us. We just don't love the texture of them that way. But, my sister prefers them with BC and NOT dipped in chocolate. To each his own.... icon_smile.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 14

Christi, That does sound good. I'm making a chocolate oreo cake this weekend for a family reunion. I'm gonna try the scraps with cream cheese icing binder. Sounds yummy. Do you dip them in white or reg. choc.? or roll in powdered sugar?

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 14

I roll those in a little powdered sugar or cocoa... chocolate makes them a tad sweet for me icon_smile.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks I'll give it a try with the ps. There seem to be so many combinations. Do you know if there is a thread on What's your favorite Cake Ball flavor? I'm not very creative, but love to try new ideas.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 14

Used to be... I'll try to find it but it might have been wiped out with some of the other threads when the site went down icon_sad.gif

Sweetpeazmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks. If it's not there, maybe we can start a new one for us newbies. icon_smile.gif

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 14

I always use random cake bits that I freeze then defrost. I toss them in the food processer until they are just crumbs. I then slowly add creamer until it makes a paste. I have used all different flavors- they are all good!

The last time I made them we added bits of toffee! It was really good. I then make the balls a little large (1.5 inches) to fill the bon bon cup. This way they kind of look like mini cup cakes. I place all the cake balls on a cookie sheet and put toothpicks in the tops and place them in the freezer for about one hour.

Melt candy melts with a little shorten, take balls out of freezer, dip, place the cake ball in the cup, and take out tooth pick. They hardern up real fast so work quickly. After they are all dipped I melt a different color chocolate put in piping bag cut the end and make zig zags. Some times I use two different colors.

I bet that the cream cheese would also be really good, I did find butter cream to be more messy, but still really good.

The bottom line is that I have never make a cake ball that was not awesome!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 14

I use buttercream icing and then use powered creamer for flavor! i need to make some of these, haven't had them in a while!

Sweetpeazmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #13 of 14

OMGOODNESS!!!! TOFFEE!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I am a Toffee nut. My mouth is watering. Thanks BigTexinWV for the detailed directions. I didn't think about sticking the toothpick in BEFORE you freeze them. . . DUH! icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 14

Great idea with the toothpicks - never thought of that. Great way to dip....THANKS!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%