How Does Icing 'melt' Or 'fall Off?

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm by iamlis

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, this by be a dumb question - but as we know here - there are no dumb questions!

Anyway, RARELY, pretty much NEVER, work with buttercream. I really only use Rich's Bettercreme. So, I read these posts about how icing 'melts', 'falls off' or 'slides' - how does it do that? How is that possible and what does it look like? I guess I just don't understand how icing 'falls off'.

just curious......

12 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 13

Sometimes it is because the sides are damp - in other words, the cake is moist all the way through the edges. The dampness resists the grease in the BC, and they separate.

Sometimes people are frosting a cold/frozen cake, and when the air inside the cake warms up, it expands and squeezes through the crumb, pushing the icing off the cake.

Other times, the cake is still warm, and warm air and moisture, which is escaping from the inside crumb, will soften the icing, then the expanding warm air will cause the softened icing to slide off.

Anybody else want to add to this list of reasons?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 13

gotcha! thanks. those all make sense

Ironbaker Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 13

Sometimes it's just so darn hot and/or humid! Some BCs just don't do well in humidity.

iamlis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 13

I have a big ol bucket of Better Creme, I haven't ever tried does it not melt?? LOL! That is the reason I haven't tried it yet, I thought in the humidity the Rich's would slide off, so do you keep your cakes cold? SORRY TO HIJACK THE THREAD icon_smile.gif

OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 13

One time I added liquid food coloring to obtain red, because I didn't have enough gel... it held-up while it was cold in the refrigerator, but after delivering & having the cake on display for the party, an entire side slid-off! Luckily it was on the back-side & didn't happen until they were about to cut the cake anyway, and even more luck: it was my gift to my best friends' son! Always the best way to learn & have mistakes happy, with family & friends! =)

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 13

lol! it's cool.

The only times that Rich's has 'melted' on me is when I'VE screwed it up some way.

But to keep them cool, I'll put the decorated cakes in my standup freezer at the lowest temp - thus making it a refridgerator. But a decorated Rich's cake can be left out at room temperature for up to 5 hours I believe. But nope, humidity has never (knock on wood) been a problem for me. At the right temperature/consistency, it's great. Heck, I don't even do a crumb coat. It doesn't crust though

*edited to say that a decorated cake can be left out for 5 hours @ room temp

iamlis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 13

THANKS ccr03! I have been wanting to try it SO bad, I am just scared because I do know how to really work with it! So, question, it has a distinct texture I noticed, do you thin yours at all? Like make it thinner to spread/ice the cake? AND (SORRY TO ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS!) can you pipe with it and color it? If so will the color bleeds when it condensates? THANKS!

Speaking of sliding, I one did a Basketweave anniversary cake (my first BIG TIME ORDER!) I stayed up all night piping BC and when I opened the liftgate to my car upon delivery, it had slid off of every tier and sat in a miserable ring around the bottom of each tier icon_sad.gif I add extra meringue powder for stability if I am doing BC detail work now...lesson learned, I am not sure WHY it happened,BUT IT DOES HAPPEN! It wasn't overly heavy-I had refrigerated it before transporting...but it hasn't happened since I add the Meringue Powder! So I widh I had a pic to show you, I ended up scraping it down and redoing the WHOLE thing in about 2 hours at the venue-THANK GOD I BROUGHT MY PIPING BAG! And with a cocktail napkin and plastic knife I did it-I just forgot my camera icon_smile.gif LOL! MY LUCK!

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 13

sure! not a problem

Yes, it does has a distinct texture, but no I don't thin it out. I use the same consistency for the base, borders, roses and writing. HOWEVER, I don't do a whole lot of detailed piper. On the color, if you whip it too much, it will look like it has 'dried out' and will suck to work with - so when coloring just be sure not to over whip it. Oh, and I haven't had it bleed either.

iamlis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 13

Ok good to just basically use it straight from the bucket then, if I wanted to do a Wilton character cake, and you know you need about 10 small batches of different colors..then pipe stars all over the cake-you would basically take it out of the bucket and fill the 10 different bowls with the icings and color each one differently, basically just fold the color in lightly? I feel so dumb, I need to go just play around with it! If I had time to do a free cake, I would just get to it! LOL!

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 13

Yup - I use it straight from the bucket. And you just described exactly what I do when I need multiple colors.
And yes, you just need to go play with it icon_wink.gif
It can take some time getting used to, but like I said it's the only thing I use. I do have a tasting this Thursday w/a lady wanting a buttercream wedding cake in January 2009 - so I'll need to play with that too

Mike1394 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 13

The only icing i ever had fall off was Rich's bettercreme. It was in competition also icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif then icon_cry.gif. You have to keep the stuff cold to be able to use it. Rich's is shelf stable for 5 days.

iamlis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 13

AWESOME! Thanks guys for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%