I'm An Idiot!!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm by charlieinMO

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 17

So I did a 6/8/10 cake for my cousin's friend this past weekend. It was for a baptism cake that my cousin was the godparent. Well, that day was also my nephew's baptism so I stupidly left the cake at my cousin's friend's house w/o payment (she wasn't home just her hubby and he didn't know anything about it). Well, I spoke w/her and we said I'd pass by the following day to get the $$. She said her hubby went to get it out and wasn't home yet - I didn't feel like waiting around so I told her I'd pass by Monday. I called her house, cell phone and stopped by her house and nothing!!

WEll, my cousin just texted me apologizing for her friend. She didn't know anything (I wasn't going to tell her).

yeah, I know - get a deposit, get paid in full BEFORE baking & all that good stuff, but this is the first time this has happened. I am so kicking myself!!! And really, I don't mind collecting payment when they receive the cake because I think that's how it should be - I get paid when they get their product.

Okay, I'm off my little rant/vent....I'm just so PO'd at myself. It was totally my fault - I'm such an idiot!!!! icon_mad.gif

Did I mention it was a fondant cake so it was more $$$$
icon_cry.gif

16 replies
Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 17

You're the idiot? What about the hubby who knew nothing about the cake being delivered for HIS child's baptism? LOL! Hope you get your money in the end...don't beat yourself up...just another lesson learned.

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 17

icon_wink.gif
yeah, I guess I should laugh at him!

oh, my cousin told me she found out b/c her friend called her to ask if she could pay me. Well, my cousin is in school & doesn't work, so she told her she couldn't.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 17

Sorry this happened to you!! I do the exact same thing! Most of my cakes are for my friends so I haven't gotten up the courage to ask for payment up front. (I know, dumb idea and need to get over it!!) I am actually waiting for some money on a cake I did for my friends little boys bday a couple of weeks ago!! Oh well! icon_rolleyes.gif Hope you get your money soon!

ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 17

thanks!

this is probably another reason why I prefer to deal w/complete strangers!
Well, and I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to push it off until 'payday' - which if that is the case, I wish she would just tell me. I'd rather have a check in my hand that I have to wait to cash vs. getting screwed!

hey, charlieinMO, where in missouri are you??

charlieinMO Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 17

I don't blame you!

I am "down" in Adrian just south of Harrisonville. Not to far!!

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 17

little update - I GOT PAID!!!

My cousin texted me last night and said that her friend dropped off the money so I could pass for it whenever. I was going to be in that area anyway, so I stopped by my cousin's house and got paid in full in cash!

Oh, and can I just say how awesome my brother is!? He told me that he saw the firend at the park and was going to say something to her but saw my car across the street and figured I got paid. I love my bro!!

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 17

I am glad it worked out for you.
I'm also in Missouri (Wentzville).Saint Charles County.
Nice to "meet" other Mo. CCer's.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 17

LOL

I am a self proclaimed idiot so I found your title amuzing LOL

Here where I live people go bug eyed if I ask for payments for party cakes before they get the cake...sooooo... unless it is a huge cake I just wait till I deliver the product.

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 17

ha,ha,ha..... thanks Christi!

I know exactly what you mean about the payment. PLus, really, like I said, I feel less pressure/better about collecting payment upon delivery b/c that way I don't spend the money before I finish the job.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 17

Very true...

But this is what I do when I do collect payment before I make the cake..

Desk drawer LOL.... that check doesn't get touched till a day after delivery... Don't want to spend the money before I know the cake was suitable for them icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 17

Absolutely Christi!
And really, I will cash checks (to make sure they are good) but I'll either put it in my savings account or keep the cash in my 'cake envelope' and won't deposit until the end of the month or after the event.

I am pretty proud of myself. I just bought a locking cash box. It has a money tray that you can take out. I figure I am going to put the money/checks in the money tray and then all receipts in the storage underneath the tray.

charlieinMO Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 17

Good deal!!! So glad she paid! And what a nice brother!! Maybe we could all "hire" him ya know??? icon_wink.gif LOL

Lilyanddanye nice to meet you!! We go through Wentzville all of the time to get to Indiana to see family!! Next time I will wave and honk! lol icon_lol.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 17

I am so glad you got your money. I too have a hard time collecting first. I hold my checks too long. I truely think I mess up people's checking accounts holding them too long.

I live by the Galleria off of HWY 40 that used to be!!!! lol

Lu

ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 17

ha,ha,....I'm going to tell my brother that we're all going to contract as the "Cake Enforcer"

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 17

I won't even accept an order without 50% up front. Once you have their money in your hands, it changes the balance of power in your favor. Suddenly, if there are any changes to the order, the time of pick-up, etc. they are totally on top of it because it is THEY who will be out the $$ at that point if they don't abide by the "rules".

charlieinMO Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 17

LOL!! Can we call him bubba??? icon_cool.gif

Brandi, you are right! It's just that most of mine are for friends and family. I will get the courage up one of these days!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%