Gum Paste Mat

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 7:24am by jess85

cathyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 10

I was watching a video where a lady was making cala lillies, and she had a mat that she rolled out the petals on. Its small with a plastic sheet that comes down and keeps the gum paste from drying out. Where can you find something like this, I have been searching but can't find one. Do any of you know where to get one. thanks

9 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 10

The most common one like you've described is the "Wilton Practice Mat". It's a vinyl covered board that comes with a clear vinyl flap over it. It used to be large & navy blue. Now, it's small & yellow. The primary use is to slip piping patterns under the plastic flap, pipe on the clear plastic, wipe away, do again. I believe it comes as part of the Wilton 1 course kit. You can also buy them separately on Ebay:

You don't need that mat. You can use saran wrap, a report cover, a zip-loc bag, or anything that's non-stick & will keep air off of the petals.


cathyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much, it just looked like an easy way to roll out gumpaste, I usually just use saran wrap, but this looked convient. thanks

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 10

I don't like to roll under the plastic and on the mat because I find it hard to gauge the thickness of what I'm rolling that way (I keep having to lift up the flap to check). Also, the currently available mat is pretty tiny (good for about 7 or 8 medium sized rose petal).

I have better luck rolling on a hard surface, like the grey Cel Board, or even a smooth cutting board, and then placing petals under the flap. This allows me to roll the paste very thin but to then keep the petals flexible.


Donnagardner Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 10

You can also use report covers you can get at the office supply stores. Just remove the side binder and there ya go.

Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 10

If you buy the Wilton gumpaste Flower Kit there is on in there.

tonedna Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

Cathy.. I have a Utube tutorial..One of them explains the tools...Here is the link for my page..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cathyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 10

Edna, yours is the video I watched, I loved it. I didn't hear you say that it was a wilton board the first time I watched it, and I went back and watched again and realized you had said what it was. You explained everything so well, I learned alot, are you going to do more video's?

tonedna Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 10

lol..thanks Cathy..If you have any other questions let me know! icon_wink.gif
Yes I am planing on doing more!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jess85 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:24am
post #10 of 10

clear plastic tablecloth works really well, because it is quite heavy

Quote by @%username% on %date%