Help! Cake For Saturday, Stacking Question.

Decorating By Lee9 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 2:44am by sugarshack

Lee9 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 13

Just got an order from a friend for a Sweet 16 cake on Saturday, stacked 12" and 6". I have only used the wood dowel rods and am very unhappy with them so far, they are the biggest pain to cut and get straight. I only do hobby baking and I know I'm going to purchase the SPS system I just wasn't expecting a stacked cake, so I haven't purchased yet. I do have the Wilton plastic dowel rods, so I am planning on using those. What is best to used to cut them? Or would it be okay to use straws with this cake? What does everyone suggest?

12 replies
bashini Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 13

You can use bubble tea straws. That is if you can get them soon. icon_smile.gif

OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 13

I always use wooden skewers - thin little things. Martha Stewart uses drinking straws (or so I saw her do it for a good-sized/medium stacked cake once & she said she uses them)... I would go with the straws if you have them, it's only a 6", so that shouldn't be too heavy anyway (I've made many that exact size without even using support - for personal use, I wouldn't recommend doing that for anyone else, just incase)... if you want to use the Wilton plastic dowels, I've had the best luck cutting them with my small pruning shears (clean). If it turns-out a little crooked, you can snip the tall side with scissors.

pinklesley1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 13

lee i use those wilton plastic straw thingys all the time... and they work awesome... if you have a pair of good big scissors.. ( i use the ones that they use to cut fabric) that should work. if not an exact knife...

here is what you do:
take one and insert it into the cake, mark the top of the cake.
take it out... and use that one to cut the rest....

and just like that you've got all your supports cut...
they work real good and are easy...

if you need any help let me know...

jessfmaldonado Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 13

I use the wilton plastic dowels as well. I like them, they are very easy to cut. I use my exacto knife. Just go around the dowel with the tip of the knife until it is cut. HTH!

mjulian Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 13

I use the bobo tea straws that you can get for really cheap at a Chinese supper market if you are in the city. I have also used drinking straws which are great and really easy to cute with just scissors. The wilton are OK but harder to cut straight but I use to make my DH cute them with the saw because it was easy for me!! Before that I used scissors but it wasnât fun. For this cake you can certainly use drinking straws.

Lee9 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone I will try the wilton plastic ones and if they are too hard to get straight I'll have straws for back-up.

sweetsbyJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 13

I LOVE the wilton plastic dowels..I ususally cut them with one of those big serreted cake knifes and its a pain..but Im going to try w/ an exacto now..gosh i am so dumb -i should have thought about that before...

I just bought the wilton wooden dowels to stick through the centers..I love them but wish they had longer ones..I like that they come in a package (I am total germaphobe and I hate using the ones that are loose as I dont know where the've been) and the wilton ones are made in the USA least thats what the packaging says

pinklesley1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 13

i sometimes use the wilton popsicle sticks too bc u can make a mark on it with an exacto knife and just bend it with your hand and i snaps.... so it is like the wood with out the splinters..... a big plus

where do you guys get the bubble tea straws i want to try them out?

tdybear1978 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 13

i use the wilton plastic dowels also and I have always just used scissors to cut them. this weekend I went to home depot and bought like a pvc pipe cutter where I insert the dowel into the little cirlce thing and then cut. I am hoping that i will be able to get a staighter cut with that

Erdica Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 13

I use to use the wooden dowels. But have since switched to SPS.

I just have a suggestion for cutting them and it may work for the straws too. I use to use a dog nail clipper to cut the dowels. It worked great and they came out mostly straight and didn't splinter. The only bad thing is they do go dull after many uses. But they are cheap to replace.

Good luck!

loriemoms Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 13

I still use the wooden dowels for my birthday cakes and such (I save the SPS for wedding cakes) I bought one of these little cutters at the hobby store. It is too pieces..the bottom piece is like a metal strip, with grooves in it, and the other piece is a little saw. You place the dowel along the strip and saw saw saw about three times, its cut. Nice and straight and easy. I think it is designed for people who make model airplanes or something. It cost me about 8 bucks.

sugarshack Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%