How Are You Making Those Great Grad Hats??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm by JenWhitlock

jessieb578  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 14

I love the grad hats and am going to attempt one, but how are you making the top?? Fondant, gumpaste - cake board??

What's the best thing to use??

13 replies
 BJ  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 14

I'm doing one myself for this weekend and I'm going to cover a square cake board with gumpaste tonight and let it dry. I'm also going to put a ball of gumpaste on the underside of the board and stick a dowel in it so I can anchor the board to the hat part of the cake. Hope this helps.
BJ

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 14

I don't really have any experience with gumpaste, do you think I could cover a board in fondant and have it work the same??

Rexy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 14

I use a small 4" pan and fill with rice krispie treats, make sure to press very hard. Cover with fondant. Then I use regular cardboard covered in fondant for the top. Works very well for me and I've done it loads of times this season!

BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

Gumpaste is pretty much the same as fondant except it dries rock hard. You could use fondant too if your more comfortable with it.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks BJ. If you don't mind me asking, how are you attaching it to the board?? or will it just stick?

OCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 14

I've heard of using a cupcake for the base of the hat & then a square cookie if you have a square cutter... dye a sugar cookie? I like the other ideas much better, but thought I'd share! You can also cut a cardboard & cover it in fondant, instead of baking rice crispies (but I always prefer to use edible items!) Good luck!

bellejoey  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 14

Although I do not have a picture posted, I once made two grad hats and used cut boards with poured foundant on top of the boards. I really liked that because when the poured fondant was poured, it gave it small ripples and made it look just like fabric would! It really looked great. I have also done gumpaste as well and liked that too. icon_smile.gif

BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 14

Jessie,
I sent a PM to you with how I'm going to do it but there are other great suggestions here on your thread. Good luck to both of us! thumbs_up.gif

tree45  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 14

I used chocolate. I followed the May Chocolate grad hat from sugarcreation below:

http://www.myspace.com/sugarcreations

If you make it with white chocolate as I did, boy it takes a while to get black, lol. And I didn't have the mini ball pan yet so I used used those clear soap molds from micheals. It was super easy, super fun and the girl loved being able to eat her whole cake!

BakerzJoy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 14

Depends on the size you are going to use. If it's going to be smaller you can use a marsmallow and a square graham cracker. Then you cover them both with black fondant individually, that way thier both edible. If you see my grad cake, that is what I did. They will stick together with a little water and let it dry.
If you prefer to make it bigger than use a cupcake and wrap a square cardboard in fondant. It should still stick together with just some water or even royal icing hidden as the glue.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 14

Ohhh, good idea with the ball pan - I just got that on my birthday! Not too sure I'll use the chocolate idea, it might get too warm in the place I'm delivering too.

The poured fondant might be a good idea too.......hmmm, lots of good ideas here!

wendalynn11  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 14

I just rolled my chocolate fondant with gumtex thick (maybe 1/2 inch) and then cut out a square and let it dry, it is in my pics, very easy and a few people thought it was real at the party.

JenWhitlock  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 14

I did mine out of gumpaste.
I rolled out a square about 5" x 5" and 1/8" thick and let it dry. (I pushed a dimple in the center too for the tassel later)
and I formed the cap part over a plastic childrens snack cup and cut the base neatly. (the bowl was pretty flat on top which worked great - it's the 'take 'n toss' ones)
then I attached the two with a few dots of RI. and set it on the cake.
used a little black glob for the tassel attach and fondant for the tassel (through a clay gun) the fondant has a nice soft drape....
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%