How Are You Making Those Great Grad Hats??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm by JenWhitlock

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 14

I love the grad hats and am going to attempt one, but how are you making the top?? Fondant, gumpaste - cake board??

What's the best thing to use??

13 replies
BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 14

I'm doing one myself for this weekend and I'm going to cover a square cake board with gumpaste tonight and let it dry. I'm also going to put a ball of gumpaste on the underside of the board and stick a dowel in it so I can anchor the board to the hat part of the cake. Hope this helps.
BJ

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 14

I don't really have any experience with gumpaste, do you think I could cover a board in fondant and have it work the same??

Rexy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 14

I use a small 4" pan and fill with rice krispie treats, make sure to press very hard. Cover with fondant. Then I use regular cardboard covered in fondant for the top. Works very well for me and I've done it loads of times this season!

BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

Gumpaste is pretty much the same as fondant except it dries rock hard. You could use fondant too if your more comfortable with it.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks BJ. If you don't mind me asking, how are you attaching it to the board?? or will it just stick?

OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 14

I've heard of using a cupcake for the base of the hat & then a square cookie if you have a square cutter... dye a sugar cookie? I like the other ideas much better, but thought I'd share! You can also cut a cardboard & cover it in fondant, instead of baking rice crispies (but I always prefer to use edible items!) Good luck!

bellejoey Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 14

Although I do not have a picture posted, I once made two grad hats and used cut boards with poured foundant on top of the boards. I really liked that because when the poured fondant was poured, it gave it small ripples and made it look just like fabric would! It really looked great. I have also done gumpaste as well and liked that too. icon_smile.gif

BJ Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 14

Jessie,
I sent a PM to you with how I'm going to do it but there are other great suggestions here on your thread. Good luck to both of us! thumbs_up.gif

tree45 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 14

I used chocolate. I followed the May Chocolate grad hat from sugarcreation below:

http://www.myspace.com/sugarcreations

If you make it with white chocolate as I did, boy it takes a while to get black, lol. And I didn't have the mini ball pan yet so I used used those clear soap molds from micheals. It was super easy, super fun and the girl loved being able to eat her whole cake!

BakerzJoy Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 14

Depends on the size you are going to use. If it's going to be smaller you can use a marsmallow and a square graham cracker. Then you cover them both with black fondant individually, that way thier both edible. If you see my grad cake, that is what I did. They will stick together with a little water and let it dry.
If you prefer to make it bigger than use a cupcake and wrap a square cardboard in fondant. It should still stick together with just some water or even royal icing hidden as the glue.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 14

Ohhh, good idea with the ball pan - I just got that on my birthday! Not too sure I'll use the chocolate idea, it might get too warm in the place I'm delivering too.

The poured fondant might be a good idea too.......hmmm, lots of good ideas here!

wendalynn11 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 14

I just rolled my chocolate fondant with gumtex thick (maybe 1/2 inch) and then cut out a square and let it dry, it is in my pics, very easy and a few people thought it was real at the party.

JenWhitlock Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 14

I did mine out of gumpaste.
I rolled out a square about 5" x 5" and 1/8" thick and let it dry. (I pushed a dimple in the center too for the tassel later)
and I formed the cap part over a plastic childrens snack cup and cut the base neatly. (the bowl was pretty flat on top which worked great - it's the 'take 'n toss' ones)
then I attached the two with a few dots of RI. and set it on the cake.
used a little black glob for the tassel attach and fondant for the tassel (through a clay gun) the fondant has a nice soft drape....
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%