I Want To Move...long

Lounge By shooterstrigger Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm by shooterstrigger

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 19

We currently live in Omaha Nebraska. I just can't see us living here forever but really don't know where to go. The cost of living in Ne is outrageous. If we ever manage to buy a home we couldn't afford the taxes after we retire. A cake shop will never be more than a pipe dream. We live in a very nice part of town but more and more I see the bad creeping in. I am originally from SW Oklahoma. I would love to move there but the economy never seems to improve much there so ... Any way I am looking for a nice place to raise my child. Someplace safe but with a reasonable cost of living. Someplace with good schools and something to do. I am a kitchen manager for an elementary school and DH is a security guard. We both LOVE our work but the pay for both sucks! I don't want a fancy life but some day I would like to take a vacation that doesn't require me to sleep in my parents' house! Any ideas? I am open to alot right now. Thanks icon_smile.gif

18 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 19

I live in SC and love it. My kids go to really good schools. I actually pulled them away from private school so they could go to our public schools.

I made the right choice. It's been great.

I have moved around quite a bit, but it has always been in the south.

I lived in NC for five years, and although I didn't like it for personal reasons (Hubby is a preacher and didn't enjoy rural church thinking), there was alot to do. The Raleigh area is very interesting. Lots of meusems and educational stuff!

In a short time you can be at the mountains or the beach.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 19

well I live in MI, and I would NOT move here .. we have the highest unemployment rate, the worst economy, and the third highest gas cost and you can't have a home bakery in MI .. almost everyone is trying to move out of this state except no one is buying homes and the ones that aren't for sale are in foreclosure .. MI is a very, very depressing state these days .. well, actually a slow decline for about the past ten years .. and we are still somehow going downhill steadily .. you would think there is a stopping point before to long!!

lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 19

Oh yeah , I forgot to say you can't have a home bakery in SC. Grrrrrr!

Now I'm gonna sound like a public service announcement for NC, cuz you can have a home bakery there!!

P.S. Gas in my area is $3 75/gal.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 19

3.75$ a gallon would be considered a steal up here! LOL we are paying as much as 4.29$ a gallon ..

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

3.75$ a gallon would be considered a steal up here! LOL we are paying as much as 4.29$ a gallon ..

So are we! We also have super high property taxes! My house cost $110,000 and we pay $5000 a year in taxes icon_eek.gif

TheCakerator Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 19

eeks that is a lot!! How's the economy doing in NY?

foxymomma521 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:

eeks that is a lot!! How's the economy doing in NY?

I live just south of Buffalo, it never seems to change here (as in it's always sucked)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 19

Well.I don't live in the USA but I can tell you that we here in Canada feel the gas prices also and the rise in cost for almost everything!!! The average cost for a small family home is $437.000...I bought mine 9 yrs ago at $184,000 and that is about 1600 sq ft.Gas is $1.30 a litre and there is 4 litres to your inperial gallon so we are paying nearly $5.20 a gallon...You think you have it bad!!! Groceries have risen 40% in the last 2 years and it takes almost $4500.00 a month to run my house hold..and that is just mortgage and bills..nothing extra...The upside is our economy here in Calgary has been very hot for almost 6 yrs now because we are the like Texas...our major economy is Oil and Gas.I hate to say it but I don't see much going down ..even in the US....I really do feel for all of you ...it's tough...really tough and you have to have a good paying job to boot!! Hang in there....things will get better!!!

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #10 of 19

foxymomma, where abouts do you live south of buffalo? My dh is from New York and his family still lives in that area ...

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 19

I live in hamburg, about a half mile from Lake Erie (you can see it from my streeticon_smile.gif ) It's about 15 min south of the city.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #12 of 19

I live in Kansas City, MO so not far from Nebraska, I wouldnt be anywhere else....I honestly dont know how we compare to Omaha though or even if we are much different. The public schools are good where i live and we have a pretty nice neighborhood.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 19

foxymomma, my dh's family lives about an hour or two from buffalo, but he lived in buffalo until he was seven .. I believe in a town called cheektowaga ..

foxymomma521 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

foxymomma, my dh's family lives about an hour or two from buffalo, but he lived in buffalo until he was seven .. I believe in a town called cheektowaga ..

Cheeektowaga is about 10 minutes from the city! It's a small world icon_wink.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #15 of 19

Here's a plug for Georgia-- suburbs of Atlanta. I love it here and I think our housing prices and gas prices are better than average nationally. I am in Cobb County (NW of Atlanta) and I teach. I love the schools. The economy is tough everywhere, but you might really like it.

TheCakerator Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #16 of 19

yes his grandma still lives in cheektowaga, and we visit her on our way to his parents house ....

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #17 of 19

Im in Denham Springs, la, right outside of Baton Rouge. Ive never lived anywhere else but I know compared to other places our cost of living is cheap. DH and I bought a brand new home with 1800 sq ft (living area) in Nov, for 175,000. Im pretty sure thats super cheap compared to everywhere else, im not sure how much gas is right now but it hasnt reached the $4 mark. I love it here but it gets really hot, its been in the 90s for the past week, so you have to be able to tolerate the heat.

lardbutt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 19

Ya'll won't believe what we paid for our house! It's just about 2200 sq.ft., five bedrooms and two bathrooms and we got it for $67,900!

It was an old brick house and we remolded it ourselves.(I hope to never paint again!) Although it was a chore, it was worth all the money we saved.

Now, we are in the downtown area which is considered by some to not be desirable, but I love it!

I just can't wait till I can afford to open a bakery right on Main St.!

On another subject, 2 liter drinks are ridicously priced! I refuse to pay $1.50 for a Pepsi! So no-name brands for us! Yuck!

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 19

I guess it just plain bad everywhere. Thanks for all the respnces. I guess I should have married a man in love with stock broking or accounting icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%