Ok, I'll Admit I'm Scared Of Meringue But Want To Try It!

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm by elainec

jessieb578  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, for some reason the whole egg thing in the icing makes me cringe inside! I don't know why honestly.

I'm a buttercream person but I'd love to venture out into the meringue world, it seems so light and airy that I think I'd like it.

Any meringue words of wisdom that can help me?

6 replies
 leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 7

Sure. Use meringue powder. I buy it by the 15# case.

tomatoqeen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 7

I know what you mean!! I am afraid to try IMBC, SMBC, or any cooked icing!! I am a food safety nut, maybe that is why, but I can't seem to shake the fear. I have been trying different kinds of BCs, because I haven't found one that thrills me yet. I am also a texture eater and hate the graininess of most BCs. Thanks for your post! Good to know there is someone with the same issues!!

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Leah! Is there a ratio of meringue powder to a regular egg that I can substitute for an egg - or better yet a good recipe out there that calls for the powder??

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 7

hmmm . . .I work in such volume that I'm not going to be any help. There is a conversion formula on the plastic container of meringue powder though.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 7

Wonderful!! Thanks a bunch! I definitely want to try it....it seems like it's so fluffy and light, something better for summer cakes.

elainec  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

I also use meringue powder! it is so convenient and safe! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%