Refridgerating A Fondant Cake

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm by spring

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 8

Do you think that I can put it in the fridge overnight, or maybe a couple of hours? I just don't want the cake going anywhere during delivery, but I'm worried about air bubble appearing when the cake warms up again (happens to me all the time even if the cake is not chilled - I don't know why?!). 2 tiers with gumpaste accents (already stacked)- don't want those going mushy either!

Wedding delivery is at 10am.

7 replies
karateka Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 8

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't touch it until it's completely dry from the condensation that will form when you take it out.

bashini Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 8

I personaly wouldn't do it. The fondant might get sticky and the gumaste accents color might fade.

DollyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't do it either. Seems like a big thing to chance if it ends up gooey or the the gumpaste accents start to wilt.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

I would say not to take the chance. Is there a reason you want to refrigerate?? Is there a filling or something that should be refrigerated?

I just did fondant covered cupcakes and they ended up slightly moist...even a little gooey after taking them out of the refrigerator. It took a long time before they dried enough to be good.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 8

Filling is white chocolate ganache and IMBC, both should be fine at room temp for a couple of days, but the ganache would not whip up stiff, so it was kind of slippery when I filled the cake. It does have 2 layers of fondant on it though (a la Maisie Fantasie method), and will have overnight to 'harden'. Keep your fingers crossed that it will be OK!

Ruth0209 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

I always put my fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator overnight covered with Saran Wrap, and I've never had any problems at all with them. I've never had gumpaste figures go soft, either. However, I live in Idaho which is a very arid climate year round. When I take them out of the fridge, if they sweat at all it's very little and it dries very quickly. I have a feeling this might not be so in more humid areas.

spring Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 8

We always put our fondant covered cakes in the fridge, even if they are decorated with gumpaste flowers or bows. Never had any problems and I live in a very hot and humid climate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%