Red Food Coloring, And Suggestions To Do This Better.

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm by tdybear1978

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #1 of 11

I did a trial 3-D Elmo head yesterday, since I want to incorporate it into the cake for my son's birthday in August. All things considered, it turned out pretty well. It was my first attempt at a cake that wasn't a standard layer or sheet, the first time I made or used fondant, and the first time I ever tried to get red (BC) or black (MMF).

Luckily, in the cake decorating class that I had taken we got red powder food color, and it worked well. But I am almost out, and I have no idea where to get more! I thought maybe I could call a local bakery. Do you think that would be OK? Any other suggestions? Or can I get a good red with another product?

Here's the cake if you want to critique - It's not the best, but it's a start. I used 2 different shaped bowls to bake the cake, so I could see which one had the better shape. The top one is the one I'll go with for both the top and bottom of the head (the bottom of the head looks very "heavy" because of the wider bowl used). And the mouth is a little wonky. Suggestions on how to do it better would be appreciated!
LL

10 replies
saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 11

Adorable cake! I have no idea where to get the red powder. I would like to know myself.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 11

Americolor gel colors are great - many cake supply sites have them available online. Super Red and Super Black work great - even starting from white icing.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 11

I ordered some powdered red coloring (and black as well) from Country Kitchen SweetArt a while back.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=618296

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you, thank you!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 11

i heard chefmaster red is good too.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 11

I can second the Americolor red. It works gret starting with white buttercream or fondant and is very inexpensive at most local cake supply stores if there are any located near you. For elms mouth, maybe you could ice that area smooth and just apply a mouth shaped from fondat. Or if you really want to carve i out, you could use something with the half moon shape and carve each half separately. HTH- have fun!!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks all for the info.

After cutting into my Elmo head last night, I decided that I DO NOT want to have to deal with the the mess that I will have if I attempt to serve people from a whole 3-D Elmo cake!

I think I'm going to do a half sheet, and then do an Elmo "bust" on top. I can do the shoulders in cake, and then I will do the arms and head in RKT. I'll attempt to make a RKT Elmo next week and see if that's more feasable! In all, elmo will be smaller, but I think I can make him look a little nicer and take some of the attention off of him if he's not just so massive.

I've never tried any carved/shaped cake before, so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew for now! Baby steps...

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 11

Sounds like a good idea,ThreeDGirlie. You can do it!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 11

Chefmaster is the best color I have found and I have tried them all. You don't have to wait for the color to intensify, You get red instantly.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 11

I am a faithful americolor girl myself. i get very nice and rich colors from it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%