I Need To Die For Lemon Filling!

Decorating By anku Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm by NickiKR

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:28am
post #1 of 17

Hello everybody,
I have a cake do and really want to impress people who are coming to the party as they could be mine potential customers!
My client/friend wants Lemon filling with white cake. Can you plaese pass on the recipes for any kind of super delicious lemon recipes???

Thanks so much in advance.

16 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:00am
post #2 of 17

I always use the filling for lemon meringue pie in my 1975 Joy of Cooking. Love the fresh lemon taste and creamy texture.
I imagine you can find a great LMP filling recipe in lots of cookbooks and lots of sites online.
Yum.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 17

Lemon curd (terrible name, I know) is very good and adaptable to any kind of citrus or fruit. Here's the recipe I use (Toba Garrett's):

4 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 lb. sugar
zest of 5 medium-large lemons
juice of 5 lemons (6 fl oz)
3/4 c unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1. Beat the eggs and sugar in stainless sttel bowl. Add juice, zest and butter
2. Cook in double boiler over simmering water, stirring constantly until curd starts to thicken (15-20 min). It's ready when it coats the back of a spoon. Strain and cool over an ice bath.
3. Store the curd in a plastic container with plastic wrap directly on the curd.

Store up to 2 weeks in refrigerator, or frozen up the 3 months.

Yield: 2 3/4 cups

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:24am
post #4 of 17

Take a look at the Lemon Filling recipe here on CC - it's got a 5-Star rating that that's pretty unbeatable.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-721-0-Lemon-Filling.html

anku Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 17

Thank so much for the responses! Which one do you think kids would love more??

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #6 of 17

Here's one I did. Its really delicious. Be warned that this makes and ENORMOUS batch-like 5 or 6 cups!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/LEMON-CURD-MOUSSE-15344

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #7 of 17

I could be wrong but I think of lemon curd as an adult filling. I mean I did not like it as a kid. I think kids like buttercream. But that's just me.

And my other hint is, rub the zest into the sugar then add it to whatever step in the recipe. Rubbing it in releases all the lemon oils in the zest. I read that in a Pierre Herme book and it works. Your kitchen will smell wonderful too. No extra charge.

NickiKR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickiKR Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #8 of 17

I mix lemon curd with cream cheese and it has been a huge hit. With kids and adults.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 17

In my experience kids like whipped cream consistency fillings...not egg based fillings. What you might want to try is pastry pride mixed with a lemon pudding. Make the instant pudding with 1/2 the amount of milk called for, let it set up and then fold it into the whipped pastry pride. Every time I make a cake for kids I try to use this type of filling because the kids just go crazy for it icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #10 of 17

lots of great tips - some I havent tried before..
Lorijom - where do you get Pastry Pride?

anku Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:14am
post #11 of 17

Thank you,thankyou everybody for great tips!

lorijom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:19am
post #12 of 17

The only place I can find it here is at smart and final markets. I remember that I did a google search for it and on the pastry pride website they list where to buy it in your area. I've read that it's safe to be kept at room temp for up to 2 days but I've been afraid to try it. I mixed some with banana pudding for a 1 year olds birthday and boy was it a hit!! yummy icon_smile.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:38am
post #13 of 17

Thanks for the tips Lorijom!

I use Pastry Pride but have never thought of mixing it with pudding for a filling. I think I have to try it this weekend. I am making my birthday cake and wanted to try something new.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:43am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiKR

I mix lemon curd with cream cheese and it has been a huge hit. With kids and adults.

Hi Nicki,
Do you mean cream cheese BC or just plain cream cheese?

lorijom Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:43am
post #15 of 17

I've been anxious to mix it with coconut pudding and maybe sprinkle a little coconut in for texture. I think it sounds dreamy icon_lol.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:52am
post #16 of 17

My favorite cake in the WORLD (I ALWAYS ask my mom to make it for my b-day) is angel food cake with lemon pie filling (mixed with a bit of cool whip) and topped with 1/2 cool whip and 1/2 lemon pie filling. Darn it I wish it was my Birthday!!!!

NickiKR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NickiKR Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiKR

Hi Nicki,
Do you mean cream cheese BC or just plain cream cheese?

Just plain cream cheese.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%