Red Fondant - Everyone's Favorite

Decorating By minerva16 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:54am by eiyapet

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 10

I need to color some fondant red probably 3/4 the size of a Wilton box. I am using Fondx fondant and americolor red coloring. Will this affect the taste any? What is the best way to go about coloring the fondant?

9 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #2 of 10

In Toba's book she says use egg yellow first, then add red. This has worked for me with small amounts of fondant like you mentioned.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #3 of 10

I personally use SatinIce pre-colored red because it is the easiest. BUT, I have used the Americolor SUPER Red in the past (along with yellow and orange) and the red is pretty nice. I guess it just depends on exactly the color you are trying to acheive. Sounds like you are going in the right direction with the Americolor...Good luck!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #4 of 10

Make sure to do your coloring in advance. It takes some time for the color to darken. Let it set overnight.

You might want to color the fondant pink first, then start adding the red. If it is a dark red, I start with chocolate.

Or better yet, I usually buy red and black fondant already colored. They are the worst to make.

I don't think it will affect the taste, but it may get sticky. Try cornstarch or ps.

Good luck

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #5 of 10

I have always used Americolor and had good results, I guess if you use too much it will get that paste-taste. I have only had one customer say something about it. It will also darken some as it sets. I usually just squirt some on and start kneeding it. I would strongly suggest getting some gloves...my hubby is in the medical field so I have an in, but you can get them pretty much anywhere. Unless you want to be pink for a few days...I made that mistake the first time I did red. I just add a little at a time till you get the color you want. I have noticed though if you use a lot of color and work with it a lot it does tend to get stringy and sticky. SO you may have to give it a rest now and then. I know I also have read on her that people who make their own MMF (which I have yet to try) use strawberry marshmallows or color it from the beginning and it takes the color quicker..good luck, I don't know if I helped or not!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:46am
post #6 of 10

I have always started with pink, then I like to add Red-Red and No-Taste Red. Be sure to mix ahead of time as the color intensifies with time. To too much red coloring of any type will make a bitter flavor.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 10

I used chefmaster liqua gel color to color my chocopan red for the tomatos on my hamburger cake and it was red instantly (no letting it set to intensify). You don't have to use near as much color as you do with the other brands. Since I found chefmaster I don't use anything else as I get true red and black and no waiting.

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the information. Where do you buy the Chefmaster coloring?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 10

I get it locally but you can do a google search and get it online. I know Oasis sells it.

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #10 of 10

This might sound really silly, but I have used tropical punch kool aid mixed with just enough water to make a paste to start then add coloring if you need it. It works well with BC too. There is a high color concentration and it tastes a lot better too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%