I Got The Job To Do Dessert Table For 600 Persons

Business By Rochelle1 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm by michellenj

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 6

This job means great exposure for me. And finally some money too. However i am at a lost as what is correct to do. It is a luncheon I suspect outside. I will be serving 5 deseert 5oo serving each.

1. What i want to know is how much is enough to serve on a platter. Basically what is an adequte platter size.
2. I want to make sure the line does not run out too fast and that the guest do not eat off all the pastry before everyone gets to eat.

Any suggestion as to how to decorate the table and or the platter or whatever serving plate use.

I was wondering if it is ok to use disposable platter because they come with covers and can easily stack for transport.

I want to make sure I am well prepared for the function and wondered if I had overlook any pertinent quesion I should have asked the function coordinator.

She said they would provide the table and the table clothe

I am planning to ask her the table size so I know how much space i am working with to select the tray size.

Any their is any relevant information you think I hve overlooked feel free to mention it. Everything is a learning experience

Thank you
Rochelle

5 replies
JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

Well, it's not like you have to do cake for 600, and cookies for 600, and pies for 600. Maybe 2-3 servings per person, so a total of 1800 servings, which sounds like a lot, but isn't. 600 cookies is doable, pies for 200-300, cake for 200-300, add something else.

Now, I haven't done this before, of course, I'm just taking a wild guess here, kind of thinking as I type.

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 6

They already selected what they want.

Cheese cake
Rum balls
Mock apple pie
Fresh fruit kebab
Potato pudding
Tie a leaf

The last two are Jamaican desserts. Kindda like Bread Puddings

I wanted to know if a 50 serving on one platter is enough for the serving plate. Or do you think for 600 persons the line is going to need to restock too quickly?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 6

I'd request a long table, and actually set it up so people can line up on either side and finish up in the middle - that way people will move through the line twice as fast.

Another tip - make sure you give them SMALL plates that they can only fit 2-3 desserts on - if you give them larger plates, many people tend to fill them up in a buffet. Keep in mind when figuring out how many plates to bring that if people come back for seconds, they won't re-use the same plates/forks, so have extra.

Make sure everything is pre-portioned and on an individual paper so they can pick them up quickly and move along. Cupcake liners are great for this.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 6

Is the mock apple pie the stuff you make with ritz crackers? I've heard of it but never actually tried or seen it.

I like the idea of a long table, then you can put more than one tray of each dessert on it. I guess how many you fit on a tray depends on the size of the tray. If possible, I would have plenty of extra trays so you can swap out for new ones quickly.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with making the buffet double-sided, or have an attendant serving portions of the more desirable items. Once I did a party where there were chocolate dipped strawberries. People were mounding their plates with the strawberries, and we ran out in like 20 minutes icon_cry.gif , even though we prepared THOUSANDS of strawberries, enough for each person to have like 5 pieces per person.

Definitely bring small plates, and like 3 plates per person, b/c you know people are most likely going to go through more than once.

Think about what time of day the reception will be held, and the rest of the menu. If the ceremony is held at a time where people would normally be having a meal, they'll be famished by the time the reception rolls around.

If I were catering this, I'd prep a few backups of full platters (big, rectangular silver ones) and bring along a speed rack with backups. When the one is halfway done on the buffet, remove it, replace it with one that's full, and refill the half-eaten one, to have ready when the one currently on the buffet is half empty.

Are you going to need refrigeration, or have access for your items that need refrigeration?

Bring more tongs than you think you will need, and a box of food handling gloves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%