"seperate" Or "not"

Decorating By gdsloane Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 2:43am by gdsloane

gdsloane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdsloane Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

My question is. I have a Birthday cake that I'm doing. Which is as follows.
A round 16' A Square 9' and a round 6'. The birthday girl want's all buttercream. I've done a wedding cake with seperated plates. But this one is stacked with no seperation. My concern is if I just use cake boards
with dowel construction once I dissassemble the cake for serving will the buttercream stick to the cake board. Do I use something on the bottom of the board. Is there a method I know nothing about or is this even a problem. I hope I'm over thinking this. If not Please help me!!!
I've included a pix of the cake.
LL

5 replies
formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #2 of 6

Some people put powdered sugar on top of each tier where the board sits on the cake. You can also try finely ground graham cracker or cookie crumbs.

gdsloane Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 6

I thought about Powdered Sugar. I just wasn't sure. I imagined the cakes being too heavy though.

mssweetie24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssweetie24 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #4 of 6

You can sprinkle a little bit of powder sugar when stacking and it will keep the icing from sticking to the cake board.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #5 of 6

You can put a circle of parchment paper between the cake and the board above it. If you're using crusting buttercream, wait for it to crust.

gdsloane Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #6 of 6

Okay I feel better now. You know how when you think about something and in the same thought you say "naaaaaa" it won't work. That was me icon_lol.gif . Thank you sooooo very much. I refused to let the stacks get me.... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%