Texture

Decorating By Octavia Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm by KoryAK

Octavia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Octavia Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #1 of 9

i have a wedding cake i have to make in july. the bride is extra picky. i have tried many recipes from scratch and every time my professional taste tester (my mom) eats one she always complains about the texture.
my cake taste great but they are almost textured like cornbread. i wish they could be light and fluffy but yet still have density. i though i was not mixing them long enough so i timed myself . still the same problem. Please Help

8 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 9

What recipes are you using? Scratch butter cakes are denser than box mix cakes. People who are used to the box mixes are often not used to the difference in textures. Are you looking at white cake or a different flavor. We may be able to suggest a couple of good recipes if we know what you are aiming for.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #3 of 9

Hi Octavia! What flavor does the bride want? Somewhere on this site is a forum with a link to Sylvia Weinstock's yellow butter cake. I use it all the time and it's wonderful. I'm not sure what might be causing the problem you're having getting the texture you want from your recipes. But scratch cakes are (by nature?) more dense, and I think that some people are just used to the "airy-ness" of a box cake. As I reread this, I'm doubting that I've helped you any, but I do wish you the best of luck. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 9

You can make any recipe using the chiffon method instead of whats directed and it will come out much, much lighter and fluffier.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #5 of 9

Is the chiffon method where you separate the eggs and whip the whites to fold it at the end?

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #6 of 9

Yup, chiffon is when you fold the egg whites in, but I believe you use oil instead of butter..not 100% sure on that.

I use t he Magnolia Vanilla cupcake recipe as my go to recipe, and I have never really had a problem with the texture. Just make sure to cream the butter and sugar really well. Mix at least 5 minutes on med in a KA mixer. Also be sure to add each egg individually and mix until fully incorporated.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:57am
post #7 of 9

Try using Softasilk Cake Flour. I like to use buttermilk also. If you want a very good recipe try using Toba Garretts wedding cake recipe, it's very, very good just whip the egg whites separately and fold into the batter for a very light cake (not in the original recipe from Toba).

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:19am
post #8 of 9

Hi and Welcome to CC, Octavia. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

The WASC cake is a doctored mix recipe so you have the reliability of a mix, but with a more homemade taste.

Here's the expanded flavors version:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Using DH white cake mixes, the full recipe yields a tad over 14 cups which is great when making larger layers or multi-small cakes.

You might enjoy this everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

How to cut clean layers of cake and filling by indydebi:
(Much better than Wilton's method.)

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page9.html

HTH

P.S. If your Mom thinks the WASC cake has the texture of cornbread, I think you're going to need to get a second opinion. icon_lol.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, most chiffon recipes use oil, but you can do butter too. And yes, thats the correct method. Whip them with the salt and some of the sugar already in the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%