Wedding Dress Cake

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm by imakecakes

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 12

since I have found CC I have been hooked looking at beatiful cakes from the gallery. I am doinga bridal shower cake this Friday and I found a lovely wedding dress cake I would like to duplicate. I have asked the maker for directions but have not recieved a reply yet. Doesn anyone know how to make a wedding dress cake? Would love directions so my nerves are not shot trying to figure it out while I am home along with four kids friday doing this cake. Also, can you refridgerate fondant? icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 12

are you talking about the 3d cake? that is usually a wonder mold but you could also use a glass pyrex bowl for the shape.

you don't need to refridgerate fondant by itself, in fact you shouldn't b/c it will get hard on you. keep it wrapped in saran and then in an airtight container at room temp. you can refridgerate fondant once it is on the cake, however, when you take it out, it is likely to sweat, so you'll want to give it time to come to room temp (do not touch it during this time) and allow the sweat to evaporate.

cakesbydina Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 12

no iam not talking about the 3d cake. If you put wedding dress cake in the search button you should see what I am talking about. Do you know anyone who made one of these?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 12

There are quite a few different examples in the search results. Which one are you talking about?

cakesbydina Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 12

if you put "wedding dress cake" in the search it's the 20th picture in the gallary[/img][/code]

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 12

can you post the link to the picture, so that we know which one you are specifically talking about. that would allow us to better help you. have you tried sinding a PM to the poster of that cake. most are very helpful.

cakesbydina Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:47am
post #7 of 12

i dont know how to post a link to the cake...????

cakesbydina Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:48am
post #8 of 12

i dont know how to post a link to the cake...????

cakesbydina Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:52am
post #9 of 12

Here is the link...I think I figured it out!! Tell me if you get this

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1229249.html

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:42am
post #10 of 12

This should help with your ribbon roses... http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-ribbon-rose-in-40-sec/
I'm not sure if anyone else can help with the draping, I've only done it a few times myself icon_smile.gif

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:58am
post #11 of 12

The draping will be just like the beginning of the video that foxy mamma posted.....you just fold the fondant like a piece of material just like she folded it in the video starting the flower. Also, you don't even have to fold the piece of fondant in half....you can take a piece of fondant and just tuck under the sides like a "hem". Then lay it on the cake attaching it with vodka or extract (whichever you prefer), one piece overlapping the other in any size and as many pieces that you would want the dress to look like. It looks like the picture has a width of about a one inch piece of fondant each. Again, It looks like all pieces are consistent in size and again, the size would be up to you and however many pieces would also be up to you. Then make a piece of fondant in the shape of a bodice and pipe cornelli lace on then cover the top edge with pearls.

I have never made a cake like this, but this is what I am seeing once I pull it apart....just break it down with your eyes....don't stress, it will be fine!!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 12

I've never done one like this, but I have read that you can drape the fondant on an upside down cake pan to get the shape/design right. Then let it set overnight and transfer it to your cake when your ready.

It's a pretty cake, have fun making it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%