Pettinice Fondant

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm by Bettycrockermommy

vmertsock Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 15

How is this to work with? I normally use Masa Ticino but I ran out and DH picked some up at NYCake and Bake. It's really expensive-$27 for 5 lbs so I'm hoping it's good. I usually roll in corn starch as oppose to 10x or crisco. Is there anything I should know about this fondant or is it nice? Thanks!

14 replies
cb_one Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 15

The supply store that's near my house sells this along with $35 buckets of 5lb Satin Ice....( crooks).

I'm interested in it as well, but never bought any because of the price.

PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 15

I've never used it, but everything @ NYC cake and baking is usually overpriced, so it may be more reasonable elsewhere.

vmertsock Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 15

I'm not as concerned with the price since I don't usually use it, just with the quality but thanks.

PinkZiab--I'm an FCI alum too! December '06 icon_biggrin.gif I know you're interning now but are you looking for a job soon? I need an assistant!

pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 15

i use it almost exclusively .. when i am not making my own MMF... i used to used satinice and this is 1,000,000 times better... softer so it may take some getting used to, but taste and smoothness is much better...

minorfan Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 15

Nice to hear it is a good fondant. I just found at a small shop locally in tampa and was wondering. Had never seen it before.

I like satin ice, recently tryed sweet inspiration and it was horrible to work with, thinned to quickly, wrinkles and bubbles. Tasted great but really difficult to work with. I still cheat and use wilton (with 50% off coupon) for items that I will be drying and for decorations

Still trying to find items locally so I dont have to pay huge shipping and handling and be able to get for last minute cakes since it is usually 5- 7 days to get it when I mail order.

fearlessbaker Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 15

vmertsock< Where do you get your Masa Ticino? Is it as good as everyone says? I live in Los Angeles and can't find it here. Have looked on the web but can't seem to locate any. Thanks

JodieF Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 15

I used chocolate Pettenice on my baby shower cake with the little Converse tennies. I absolutely loved it. It rolled out beautifully and was so delicious! I liked it so much better than Satin Ice.

Jodie

vmertsock Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 15

I'm so relieved it's nice to work with! I was a bit worried that I'd have to make a batch, but I really don't have the time to let it mature overnight.

fearlessbaker--love the name! I absolutely love M.T. Taste is good, not as overly sweet as a lot of them. It's stiff to start, but I love that about it since it doesn't get too soft on you in the heat. It's really made for humid climates so it does beautifully in the heat too. I use it on my wedding cake and it went from Wed night through to Sat out of the fridge in just air and there was no drooping or anything, even on the draping. Unfortunately I can't help you with where to get it, I mine through Harry Wils which is a supply company based out of NJ. Are you a business or out of your home? You might be able to contact local cake makers and ask if they use it and find out where they get it from, or just call suppliers in the area and see if they can get it for you. I found a number for a place to order from but not sure if they'll ship to you.

Alber Uster Imports
1-800-231-8154

They use to charge $38 for a bucket so it is pricey through them, (I pay $27 and I think it's around 15#) last I knew.
Good luck!

PinkZiab Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

PinkZiab--I'm an FCI alum too! December '06 Very Happy I know you're interning now but are you looking for a job soon? I need an assistant!

You've got a PM! hehehe

loriemoms Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmertsock

How is this to work with? I normally use Masa Ticino but I ran out and DH picked some up at NYCake and Bake. It's really expensive-$27 for 5 lbs so I'm hoping it's good. I usually roll in corn starch as oppose to 10x or crisco. Is there anything I should know about this fondant or is it nice? Thanks!

I think Masa is SO nice to work with you may find the Pettinice too soft and stretchy...I personally use Fondx, as it doesnt have that strong vanilla taste that Satin Ice has and is a little stiffer then Satin Ice and Pettinice. I just dont care for super soft stretchy fondant. I really think its up to your own taste.

fearlessbaker Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #12 of 15

Vmertsock, Thanks. I will call them. We have Ambassador Foods here and they might carry it as well. I have read so many good thing about M.T. so am anxious to try it. I only bake for friends and family. I bake so much it's time to start charging.

ccr03 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 15

Can I just say that I LOVE living in the Midwest!!!

I too exclusively use Pettinice. The shop sells it for $15-$20 for 5 lbs. And that's that they recently increased the price. It used to be cheaper for me to buy the 5lbs Pettinice than to buy the 5lb. Wilton w/ a 40% coupon!

Anyway, I love the stuff. My bro LOVES the taste and I have found that it's very easy to work with. It is however, as it's been stated, soft - but I like that to roll out.

awolf24 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 15

Good to hear about Pettinice - just bought some for the first time for a trial cake I'm planning (want to try my hand at brush embroidery....) Thanks!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 15

I love pettinice. In fact, ya'll are reminding me that I need to order a bucket of it. but I do still use Wilton for figures and modeling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%