Need Cookie Ideas For A 8 Or 9 Year Old B-Day Boy...

Baking By mom2spunkynbug Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm by robinscakes

mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 21

I got an order for 2 dozen sugar cookies, from a repeat customer. She asked what kind of cookies I could do and I just said "pretty much anything!" I asked her what she had in mind and she said she didn't know. I told her I have tons of cookie cutters & any kind of theme I could do them for.

Soooo...she said "well just do the same as last year - cars & trucks"

icon_confused.gif WHAT?! WHY?!

Then I told her about what I was doing for my kids for the end of the school year: summer themed cookies - beach balls, ice cream cones, sailboat cookies - and she said no, just do the cars & trucks.

Anyone got any other ideas maybe she would like that I could offer to her??? Or should I just leave it be and do the same again?! (They're for Sunday.)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

20 replies
onceuponacookie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 21

My 9 year old would like anything sports or anything related to Nintendo. : )

deetmar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 21

I did a bunch of John Deere Tractors for a nine year old boy. Hulk is really popular right now too. Find out if he has a favorite baseball team, or if he likes sports, you could do different balls, baseball, football, soccer, etc.

There are some really cool dinosaur cookie cutters, and I also have a dragon that is pretty cool.

PattyT Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 21

Check to see if he likes the "Ben 10" cartoon series. I just did a cake and cookies with chocolate transfers for a Ben 10 themed birthday party. It was for two brothers 6 and 9 I think.

I'd never heard of Ben 10 till then and apparently it's VERY popular.

If that doesn't ring a bell, try some other Cartoon Network. Their logos are pretty easy to do.

HTH - Pat

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 21

yeah any kind of ball- baseball, basketball, whatever.

LovelyCreations Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 21

I was thinking the very same thing PattyT! I did a Ben 10 bday cake for my son in April. No cookies but maybe the cake might give you some ideas.

Another idea might be Kung Fu Panda...maybe use a bear cutter???

HTH

Jocmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 21

I make these monster cookies every Halloween for the kids that visit our office. The boys really like the monsters (and the chocolate mice too).
LL

LovelyCreations Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 21

Jocmom, those are absolutely adorable! And great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

PattyT Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyCakes

I was thinking the very same thing PattyT! I did a Ben 10 bday cake for my son in April. No cookies but maybe the cake might give you some ideas.

Another idea might be Kung Fu Panda...maybe use a bear cutter???

HTH

The Ben 10 thing surprised me...but now I know!

And YES! That Kung Fu Panda is huge right now!

I just searched "panda" and got mostly cakes (all adorable) , but here's some ideas...

Even if you didn't have a bear cutter, a circle might do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=592543
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1194734

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1027253

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1160854

I'll do a google search and see what that logo looks like - maybe 1/2 bears, 1/2 logo?

Here we are mom2spunkynbug...making you even crazier!

PattyT Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I make these monster cookies every Halloween for the kids that visit our office. The boys really like the monsters (and the chocolate mice too).

Those are so CUTE! No wonder they're a hit!

PattyT Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #11 of 21

Kung Fu logo's not worth it....

LovelyCreations Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Kung Fu logo's not worth it....

Hmm...maybe if you have an edible image printer...???

toleshed Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #13 of 21

Nascar maybe? My grandson likes nascar, and the sports related ones

LovelyCreations Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #14 of 21

What about science? Or science fiction? For science fiction you could make aliens from triangle and oval cutters and for science maybe some rectangle ones to look like beakers and long thin ones to look like test tubes. Maybe another to look like a lab coat (shirt cutter maybe).

I'll stop now... icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #15 of 21

Maybe make round cookies into a pirate face.

If she really wants cars and trucks though....I would do cars and trucks.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #16 of 21

WOW! I just went off to teach a Wilton class and come back to all these great ideas! Thanks everyone!

I was trying to think of things on the way to class & thought of the balls (baseball, soccer ball, basketball) too!

Also, I recently got a wedding cake cookie cutter...I could use that for a birthday cake!

I could also throw in some number cookies, like an "8" if he's turning 8.

I just don't get why she would want the same thing icon_confused.gif It's like at the beginning of the conversation she wanted something different...but then decided against it.

I'm just gonna offer her these & if she still wants the cars & trucks, so be it! icon_rolleyes.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #17 of 21

Oh, I forgot to say...I have a 6 yr old boy, so I know who Ben 10 is LOL

I think this mom doesn't really let her kids watch much TV, ya know? So I'm sure he's not into any TV shows or movies or anything.

PattyT Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:54am
post #18 of 21

I like both the birthday cake and the number cookie ideas a lot.

Good luck!

michellesArt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #19 of 21

i know i hate having to do the same thing (quite frankly i'm getting tired of doing golfballs for my dh and crew at work-though the are much appreciated) i love trying new things-i like the nascar idea-it's cars you could maybe add flags with #1or his #birthday OR a vw luvbug car (instead of a typical car) i had some teacher cookies set aside for tomorrow that i was going to finish today (last day is tomorrow) but they seem to have disappeard...i think i have a couple of cookie monsters living in my house lol

bakinccc Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #20 of 21

I'm the same way too...I like making something different each time someone orders. I had a gal order cars, truck, trains, planes THREE times in a row and got really sick of making them. I wanted to do something DIFFERENT!!

I always try to ask what their interests are and go from there. I hope you settled on some cool designs!! Good luck!!

robinscakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #21 of 21

My 9-year old would like soccer balls, footballs, football helmets, basketballs, baseballs, etc. or anything video game related. Maybe an iPod cookie, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%