Picking Up Customers Ideas

Baking By toleshed Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:09am by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for ways to increase my small home cookie business. So far its been word of mouth. I don't market myself very well and need all the help I can get. Anybody got any ideas?

4 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 5

One word-Samples!!!
When I first started I never left home without some cookies to hand out-the bank, doctor's office, hubby's work, etc... I also did alot of cookies for our schools. I also did alot of fundraiser type things-always got orders from these. This is how I built up my portfolio as well.
Are you licensed? If not you have to be careful about who you advertise to.

onceuponacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacookie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 5

The reponse I have recieved from one email to family and friends has been enough to keep me busy. I made up some samples of a up coming holiday, took some pictures and sent out the email. I ended up making over 70 cookies for that holiday and the orders have not stopped coming in!

Good luck! : )

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 5

I have done it the same way. Every time I go to a Dr appointment, physical therapy, or get my hair done, I take in cookies. My business has grown from there.

I did go to Vistaprint.com and had free business cards done up and I carry them with me all the time. If I am at a store and here someone talking about cakes, birthdays, cookies, I hand them a card and ask them to keep me in mind.

I seem to be more cookies than cakes lately, which is okay with me, I really enjoy the cookies.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #5 of 5

I don't have to have a license. I am considered a home food processor. I did have a health inspection so am good to go. If I want to sell online, then I need a license for $200. I got my business cards from Vista Print also.
Samples - will do this
Thanks all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%