Scared To Death Of This Wedding!

Business By loriemoms Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm by -K8memphis

loriemoms Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 17

I have this bride who has been a lot of "fun" since day one. Her parents came to me about a year ago to book her wedding (the bride was away at school, wrapped in finals) They brought me an email she had written and even the father said "if you can make sense of this you are a god!" She had this long discription of a cake in blue green or maybe even green a box, but not really a box. Crazy stuff like that. We had our tasting, they loved the cake and signed a contract. We figured we would figure out the design later. When the daughter was done with school, she came over with a beautiful drawing she did of a cake. Phew, ok settled. Then two months later, she decided she didnt like the color and then sent me another picture she drew of another cake that ok, there is still plent of time, i will do that design. No problem. NOW I am confused on what to do with the color. She gave me color swatches and said "but not quite as colorful" and "colors not quite as deep" as the swatches. I have asked her PLEASE bring a color that she wants exactly. No swatch yet and her wedding is a week away. I wrote her a number of emails saying I will do the best I can, that green/blue or blue/green can be like 100 million different shades and that a swatch would help a LOT, but i get things like "just don't make it too dark". (The swatches she gave me are VERY dark) I am scared sh*tless on how this cake color is going to go. Do I do the cake a very light green/blue and hope that is ok? It is a fondant cake, with the green/blue or blue green color with some white designs on it from a book she found (The mom doesnt know what to do either..) Sigh. Why do I do this business?

16 replies
kelleym Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 17

Tell her to go to Home Depot and get you a paint chip sample of the shade she wants, and that without SOMETHING for you to match the color to, you cannot guarantee you will achieve the color she wants. Put it in writing so you have it documented. Ay yi yi.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 17

This is not hard at all but when you're in the midst of it it can be a bit daunting. This is simply 'use your own judgement'. Run happy with it. Clearly the bride does not know what she wants. Go with your gut. Make it pretty. But feel released from all the confusion too. It's ok. Go with the flow. Use all those impressions she gave you like a Monet palette and wa ah ah la something.

I never contact brides at this point. She didn't know what she wanted when she was free and clear to think about it now that the roller coaster has left the starting gate she doesn't suddenly know or care to figure it out. Make her something pretty. That's what she wants. So anything you make that you interpret to be not too deep or not quite as colorful is great!

southerncake Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 17

If she doesn't get a paint sample or fabric swatch to you in the next day or so, I say use your best judgement. I actually like cases like this where I don't have an "exact" color to match. It is much less stressful for me when I know there isn't something else (like a bridesmaid's dress) to compare the color to!!

loriemoms Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 17

I I LOVE the way you guys think! I do have it in an email that I cannot gurantee the color, (you think that is enough?) and just do what I think is pretty! You guys have lifted my spirits, as I was so depressed over this cake. (And I know what you mean about matching! Especially buttercream. You never know how much darker it might go when it has set..)

Thanks guys!

spring Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 17

We always have the bride send us a paint chip of the EXACT color she wants.

We also have the bride come in and ok the color, once we've mixed it in fondant. Saves a lot of heart ache on both sides.

My Blog

peacockplace Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 17

Welcome to CC! I stumbled onto your website a while back and have been a big fan of yours ever since. Your cakes are amazing!!! I love the blog too!

loriemoms Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 17
Originally Posted by spring

We always have the bride send us a paint chip of the EXACT color she wants.

We also have the bride come in and ok the color, once we've mixed it in fondant. Saves a lot of heart ache on both sides.

My Blog

That is a great idea, although I do not mix my fondant until 1-2 days before the wedding. I am not sure I can get brides in here to double check the fondant do you get them in or do you mix the fondant up weeks ahead?

spring Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #9 of 17

We only color a small piece of fondant, maybe the size of a 2" circle. I mix the fondant an hour or two before the bride comes in.

Once approved, the fondant swatch is wrapped tightly in saran wrap and put in the freezer. When I'm ready to mix a whole batch of fondant, I bring it out and use it as a guide.

I've never had trouble getting a bride to come back and look at the fondant. They seem to be happy to do so.

My Blog:

JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #10 of 17

Wow, Minette, your blog is awesome. I'm a fan.

spring Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:49am
post #11 of 17

Thanks peacockplace and Julie! I'm glad you like the blog.

My Blog

Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 17

I have every free paint chip sample Home Depot carries.

I numbered each brand by number in a way that makes sense to me right on the pait chip, laminated it and punched a hole in it then put it on a ring.

The bride matches her swatch to the chip. I note in the contract that they want color _________ from my swatch samples. I initial, they initial, we are done.

loriemoms Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #13 of 17

Those are excellent ideas for the future! I like the paint chip idea. (I have a catalog of ribbon that they pick their ribbon colors from, but never thought of using paint chips for fondant..)

mindywith3boys Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:34am
post #14 of 17

You could do a rang of colors. Start at the bottom with a darker blue/green and with each tier get lighter.

marmalade1687 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 17

I use the paint chip idea too - working with many out-of-town brides makes this essential!! When we need a colour sample, I can tell them to go to a paint store and choose a paint colour that exactly matches the colour that they want for their cake, then mail it to me. It's free for them, and I can get a, exact colour for their cake. Their idea of a lavender may be wildly different from my idea of lavender!

I also tell brides that I will match their colour as best I can, but it is never a 100% guarantee, especially when it gets into the darker colours...I can usually get it pretty darn close, but telling the bride this has saved me a couple of times!

leily Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #16 of 17

I never thought about the paint sample idea either. I LOVE IT!! I am definitely going to use this in the future.

I can get one of the full sample books from sherwin williams or send a bride to a paint department.

Thanks for another great idea (so much easier than keeping track of a fabric sample)

CarolynGwen - great idea to number them all too and have it in the contract.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 17

I think the paint chip idea is gen-ee-us. However for moi, whenever possible I'm much more enamored with the love of a measured amount of vagueness, the less documentation and matchy matchy the better. Probably due from the effects of the paint chips I already mixed it up with a such an early age. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%