Tahitian Vanilla Recipe

Baking By Mommaskip Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm by HerBoudoir

Mommaskip Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 5

going through the galleries of cakes i have seen many cakes that are tahitian vanilla with a flavored buttercream and i was hoping someone had the recipe. i check the recipe collection with no luck so please will someone share this recipe im wanting to try someone new.

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 5

Tahitian vanilla is just where that particular vanilla is grown, it's not a recipe.

What you need to do is find yourself a yellow cake recipe which you are happy with, then buy some vanilla which is labeled Tahitian, and use that in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

save

Mommaskip Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 5

ok thanks so much

HerBoudoir Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 5

If you're looking specifically for Tahitian vanilla beans, eBay is a good source (and actually a good source for any kind of vanilla bean). Tahitian are among the best available. If it seems like too many beans to use, remember you can use them to make your own extract. Store the beans for up to a year in as airtight a container as you can manage.

For extracts, Neilsen Massey makes a few varieties - Madagascar Bourbon, Mexican, etc, and can be found in gourmet stores and online.

For a bargain, Trader Joe's makes a great Madagascar Bourbon extract.

Online only, SilverCloudEstates.com offers a wide variety of vanilla products - I've tried a number of them and they are very good.

You can also look for vanilla bean paste, which is vanilla seeds plus a few other ingredients - very tasty.

Don't bother with grocery store extracts - not a lot of flavor in those IMHO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%