Not-So-Sweet Frosting??

Decorating By sweetsbyJ Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm by sweetsbyJ

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hi..newbie here!

I have a question..I just had someone call me requesting a cake for this saturday (for 50 people). She's had my cakes before but she asked me if I could use something other than buttercream b/c she says it was too sweet for her (I use Toba Garrets recipe w/ my own mix of flavorings)..
I asked her what she liked and she said Meringue or anything like that..not too sweet...I told her I would see what I could do for her...

By Meringue she most likely means the one that Cuban bakeries use..I personally dont like it but some people do.....I just dont know how to make it...all i know is that it tastes funny it has a weird slippery texture and its always shiny..(sorry if my description is weird, i Just hate the stuff)

anways, before this gets too long..does anyone know of or can anyone lead me in the direction of not-so-sweet buttercreams or alternatives that would frost and pipe well (and not melt..I live in hot humid weather)??

TIA!

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a search and couldnt find anything

3 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

What about an Italian or Swiss Meringue buttercream recipe?

My favorite is Shirley's Italian Meringue buttercream (IMBC):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-0-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 4

ditto

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 4

Thank You I will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%