Mickey Mouse Wedding Cake On Unwrapped

Decorating By kimblyd Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 1:33am by cake-angel

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Did anyone see the Unwrapped (think it was on Food Network) program on Saturday about Disney World treats? The last part was about the wedding cakes that they make.

The decorator covered the tiers with fondant then took a stamp in the shape of Mickey, pressed it in something silver and stamped silver Mickeys on them, he stuck in a few Donalds and others for fun. It looked like swags. He also added a chocolate castle topper. It was a be-yoo-tiful cake!

I was wondering if anyone knew what the silver stuff was that he was dipping the stamp into. It made perfect impressions. Dust, liquid, both?

Just curious...I don't do fondant, but I promised my daughter (she's 10) that I would learn how to do it in time to make her wedding cake just like this one, so no rush! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

The silver luster dust was probably mixed with a bit of alcohol to make a shiny 'paint' for the stamp.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5

I saw the episode. It looked to me like they were using the stamp in a powder instead of a paint. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like dry luster dust.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 5

I thought it might be dust because it was so shiny, but it looked so "permanent" I thought it might be some kind of edible paint or something special that is used for stamping on fondant.

Thanks for your replies!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 5

They could have used edible silver. YOu can get t if you look hard enough but it costs a pretty penny. Lustre dust is cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%