Walmart Cake Decorator And Issue With Wearing Gloves

Decorating By zatsdeb Updated 20 Sep 2013 , 1:21pm by embersmom

zatsdeb Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 23

I was wondering if there were any cake decorators with walmart that have had an issue with using gloves while decorating. We use gloves to handle the cakes when we are traying them up... touching the actual cake, but not while decorating, putting the toys on...changing tips. I had an issue with a manager insisting on decorators wearing gloves.
I don't think they have ever decorated a cake wearing those cheap plastic gloves, they are either too big or too small. you can't pick up the rings and pics and can't go fast with production like they insist. If there are any decorators who wear gloves and have any ideas or tips to share, I felt like they were just picking on me.. I wash my hands 50 times a day!
Just a little angry with the whole situation.
Thanks.
Deb

22 replies
2kiddos Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 23

If you have to wear gloves, I'd definately suggest the tighter fitting latex kind. I worked in the bakery at Winn Dixie many years ago, and we too had to wear gloves for EVERYTHING! Luckily our manager understood the difficulty in cake decorating with those cheap plastic gloves, so they provided us with boxes of the latex gloves.

Good luck!

gateaux Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 23

I would suggest you have them get the "non latex" ones they have in hospitals... so many people have latex allergies these days that may be another options.

I wear my all the time, I by them as costco.

Good Luck.

butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 23

coming from someone who has an allergy to latex, if you MUST wear gloves and need tighter fitting ones, get the non-latex NON-POWDERED ones. the powder can be as much an irritant as the latex.

southerncake Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 23

I do sometimes wear gloves, especially when being in a "public setting," like working on a dessert buffet, etc. I cannot use those flimsy little plastic gloves!!! I don't have a latex allergy, but do have a sensitivity. For people with latex allergies, latex can be deadly. DH works for a vending company and can buy the gloves that the ladies use in their production kitchen. I cannot remember what they are made of (I'm going to ask him when he gets home) and I'm currently out of them, so there is no box here to look at, but they are latex-free, food-safe, and fabulous!! I love them!

zoomitoons Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 23

I would NEVER wear a latex gloves as there are too many people (including me) who are severely allergic to latex and as any other allergy, the more you are exposed the worse the allergy gets. You can buy hospital grade, tight fitting non latex gloves that I use when working on cakes and they are no bother at all. If you get the hospital grade kind you can feel everything normally and don't have issues as you do now with the big bulky gloves. I get mine from the local hospital and/or my doctor, that way I know they are the good kind but I know you can buy regular tight fitting non latex at walmart where all the other latex gloves and bandages are.

melvin01 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 23

I'd see if they will allow different gloves (or even if they sell some latex gloves at Walmart...I don't know if they do or not, seems like they should somewhere there, maybe in the pharmacy?), anyway, if they insist on the cheap plastic ones, maybe try to put a rubberband around the wrist to help keep them tighter, that seems like the main problem is them sagging. See if it helps, it's the only thing I can think of that might. Those gloves are so horrid, you cannot do anything in them, even color hair!

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

I do sometimes wear gloves, especially when being in a "public setting," like working on a dessert buffet, etc. I cannot use those flimsy little plastic gloves!!! I don't have a latex allergy, but do have a sensitivity. For people with latex allergies, latex can be deadly. DH works for a vending company and can buy the gloves that the ladies use in their production kitchen. I cannot remember what they are made of (I'm going to ask him when he gets home) and I'm currently out of them, so there is no box here to look at, but they are latex-free, food-safe, and fabulous!! I love them!

i seem to remember something about GFS (gordon food service) having gloves like that. icon_confused.gif

simplysweet72740 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 23

Check your company policy for your state. I worked at wal-mart by the home office, for 6 years decorating, and I quit a year ago. I do not believe that it is company policy to wear gloves while decorating. It is though as you said while traying them up. But check it, because you know they aren't going to buy the ones that fit. My manager did the same thing to us and I'm very outspoken and I told him to decorate them using those gloves, well we didn't have to afterwards. Anyways check your handbook and make sure, but I think you may be able to get away with this!!!

aswartzw Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 23

As a chemist, I've learned that you must have proper fitting ones and it's really no different than working without gloves. Therefore, DEMAND proper fitting sizes in vinyl.

If they want you to use latex, tell them you have an allergy. icon_wink.gif

zatsdeb Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 23

wow, you guys are great! I am allergic to latex, and I did ask for the policy in writing and they will not give it to me, they refused!?!?! They only provide one kind of glove, they went to a cheaper one in fact, that breaks when you put them on. they are very thin, I would think washing of hands would be more sanitary!
Thanks for all the advice! I do not mind putting gloves on while I am traying up my cakes! but they are getting tooooo picky! I do think it is my manager, because he has been picking at me for a while now, even though he went to another departmant, as do all those walmart managers do!!!
Thanks again for all the replys! Hopefully it will give me enough info to go to the next step, whoever I need to talk to. especially since they won't give it to me in writing!

barbaranoel Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #12 of 23

I am a bakery/ Deli Dept. Head with Kroger and we require gloves to be used with all Ready to Eat food. I have 30+ employees (I haven't counted them all lately) Therefore I have several "requests" for different kinds of gloves:

Latex - with powder (Sizes Med & Lg)
Latex - Powder free (Sizes Med & Lg)
Vinyl - with powder (Size Med)
Vinyl - Powder free (Size Sm)
Plastic (For those who come to my dept to borrow gloves and I don't want to give them my good ones!!!)

There are other options - see what they are willing to do, I try to get my employees what works for them, they are more apt to do what you need them to if they have the right tools.

Barb

MichelleM77 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:12am
post #13 of 23

Yes, GFS has latex and vinyl gloves, powdered and non-powdered. About $6 a box for 100 gloves.

leily Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #14 of 23
PennieK Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #15 of 23

I work at Wal-Mart too but I have to wear gloves for everything. Food safety guidelines vary from state to state so there probally isn't a general policy. My store gets inspections from Kay Chemical and we have to follow their guidelines even if they aren't required by the state.

I have a problem with sizes also. The small is a little snug but the Mediums are too long. I usually go with the small because they are easier to work with.

If you can't get any help from your assistant go to your co-manager or the store manager.

leily Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #16 of 23

OK, I forgot to add my two cents in.

When I decorated for wal-mart the decorators had the tight fitting vinyl gloves purchased for them. We had XL, L, M, and S (6 different decorators and many different hand shapes) The rest of the bakery had the larger quick slip on plastic gloves (that feel like the bags they package the bread in) These worked for handling the larger items.

If your department manager won't help get you the gloves you need to do your work, talk to your store manager.

As for policy... I don't know, from what I remember it was, but that could have been our local health department.

indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet72740

Check your company policy for your state....... I do not believe that it is company policy to wear gloves while decorating.

You guys get to decide by company policy if you have to wear gloves while handling food? icon_eek.gif Our state health department makes that rule and they do inspections to make sure it happens. I sure can't just decide to write a company policy of "no gloves needed when decorating"!

But I only buy the tight fitting ones. Those "subway" type gloves are useless.

justgale Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #18 of 23

I worked in both the deli and bakery at Wal-mart. I agree it's hard to do anything with those gloves on. I don't remember having to wear them when decorating the cakes and adding the kits onto them, but they were a pia to do doughnuts. the finger tips dip into the iceing with every doughtnut. icon_mad.gif My hands were a bit big for the smalls and to small for the med. ones. I just wore the med. and pushed back each finger every time I had to put a new pair on. Check with your seafood and deli department and see if they have the better vinal gloves. We used to always "barrow" from them. I know where I'm at now we have to get them from Alanta Foods through the deli.

2txmedics Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #19 of 23

Ok, being a Medic on an Ambulance...Gloves is my speciality!!! First I love the fact that people wear gloves. you dont know how many times I walk into a fast food place or cake place and employees TOUCH EVERYTHING...there hair, there noses, coughing into hands...etc...and they continue there work~~~its gotten to where I dont eat out if they dont wear gloves.

Being a medic, Im also allergic to latex...and I wear them daily and live in gloves. Since I like my gloves tighter than most...cause its real hard to start an IV with loose gloves, I buy smalls or even X Small depending on who makes them, sizes vary according to companies. In one, I might wear a small and there X Smalls are way too tight, in the other it might be different.

There are companies where you can buy gloves in bulk and cheap. Try typing EMS, NON LATEX GLOVES, NON POWDER for a search. I buy from GALLS, mainly. You can find them cheap, just look.

if you cant, contact me...and I will find the sites Ive used before.

simplysweet72740 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 23

simplysweet72740 wrote:
Check your company policy for your state....... I do not believe that it is company policy to wear gloves while decorating.

indydeby
You guys get to decide by company policy if you have to wear gloves while handling food? Our state health department makes that rule and they do inspections to make sure it happens. I sure can't just decide to write a company policy of "no gloves needed when decorating"!

But I only buy the tight fitting ones. Those "subway" type gloves are useless.

See thats just it though, most states require it, but not in arkansas therefore its not in our policy here. Even if it was though Wal-Mart still wouldn't provide the correct fitting gloves. We had to wear hairnets, yet they would only provide shower caps, so if you wanted a less noticeable net you had to provide your own. I wish it were state law because then they would have to provide for the associates.

zatsdeb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:12pm
post #21 of 23

It used to be that we only had to wear gloves while touching our cakes. We wash our hands more, the health department told us that they would rather see us not wear gloves and wash our hands more than the people who do wear gloves and just touch everything, and not wash their hands because they think that they are protected! I have seen people work with gloves on, and touch their hair, nose, etc... and never change their gloves! I know that I do wash my hands constantly and the decorator area has a special sink area, and I usually rinse my hands off between washing them! any decorator can tell you, we usually wash our hands so much that we wear our fingerprints off.. so to speak!
The manager who gave me a hard time was at work today, and steered clear of me, he knows I am dissapointed with the way he acted,he was the one who made sure I got in trouble (because they new about it ahead of time, the kchemical guy told me...I think he was on my side because he felt bad that they knew that he was going to check things weeks prior, and they never told me) I knew the kchemical guy for 4 years from a previous store I worked at. I still don't believe the extent that the rules go though, I have yet to see any policy in paper.
I don't have a problem wearing gloves when I can do things, it is just that it is frustrating trying to pick up something and you can't get it! they will not get special gloves for us. just the cheapie kind they are getting.

I don't know how medical people do it to do the things they do!
I can't wear tighter gloves because sqeezing the icing makes my hand hurt!
It is really nice that people understand what I am going through, its pretty much the way they handled the situation more than the fact about wearing the gloves. I know I can adapt, but it will slow down my production.
I know some of the krogers here are really bad, they don't wear hair nets most of the time, and this is the manager! My daughter decorates in a big krogers, with the gormet case, and she says her manager walks into the bakery without a hair net, no gloves, they just don't care. I always tell her when I go in there... "KChemical is here!!" (she used to work for walmart too!!!)

gummysue Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 12:40pm
post #22 of 23

I wok at walmart also and until recently we have had a zone manager who tells us that we have to use gloves when decorating cakes. Like you we wear gloves when handing the cakes but not icing or putting kits on.  If you will check with kay chemical they have nothing on their website about wearing gloves when icing or putting toys on.  Check the web also because there is nothing there about wearing gloves when icing or decorating.

embersmom Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:21pm
post #23 of 23

We get thicker non-latex gloves where I work.  Everyone else gets the cheaper thinner ones.   We have to use them when we're traying up and/or moving the actual layers, but we don't have to use when when we're actually icing/decorating.  I sometimes do, though, especially if I'm airbrushing or mixing colors so my hands don't become a rainbow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%