Best Scratch Cakes?

Decorating By msc2006 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 12:32am by playingwithsugar

msc2006 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 13

I have never made a cake from scratch before but I've always wanted to. Whenever I watch those cake shows on food network the cakes look so nice and firm and easy to work with but whenever I make a cake using a box mix it always seems to come out too soft and crumbly and hard to frost etc... What's the best cake type to make, box or scratch?? birthday.gif

12 replies
cake-angel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 13

This is a delicate question. You will find people on here who adore box mixes and those of us that are strictly scratch bakers. I am personally a scratch baker. Scratch cakes do tend to be denser ( I mainly make butter cakes).

CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 13

I do love the Hershey's Chocolate Cake, the flavor is wonderful and I am not a chocoalte person.

I have a white cake recipe that I LOVE...it is in the Betty Crocker Recipe book. It is called Silver White Cake. It is dense and has great flavor. But I tried many different scratch cakes previously and just did not like any of them. So just be patient, I am now only a scratch baker...(unless budget comes into play...boxes are faster to get together...)

staceyboots Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 13

i find that working with a box mix "as is" to too difficult to work with. it crumbles too much and is a pain to decorate.

then i discovered the WASC recipe!!...it is based on a box cake with other ingredients added to make it more dense

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

this is the only box-cake recipe in my records though, as i prefer to make scratch cakes.

msc2006 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks very much for that suggestion staceyboots! I will try that one and maybe I will even get sassy and try using a filling with it too! So you think it would be okay to make this a week ahead if time and freeze it until the day I need it? I've never done that before, so cakes that have been frozen come out okay? Thanks for your hlp everyone!

cb_one Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 13

Theres a book called the Whimsical Bakehouse that has very easy to follow instructions.

I've been using the Chocolate Butter cake for a couple of years now.

staceyboots Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 13

glad to help!

of course, you can go ahead and freeze the cake. as far as i can remember, i made a WASC cake and froze it for about 2 days before decorating it. check out the link below on freezing and feel free to ask any questions...CC'ers are always here to help!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-590076-.html

Eme Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 13

I've tried both but have found that I prefer a doctored mix. I actually use only the WASC recipe or some variation of it for all my cakes. Unfortunately, I have not had the best results with any scratch recipes.

butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 13

i've never had much luck with scratch cakes. they always came out really dry and my family wouldn't eat them.

using a box mix "as-is" is WAY TOO soft. and not dense at all.

i've started using this recipe and use it for ALL flavors:

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 box pudding mix (4 serving size) in a flavor to match or compliment the cake
4 eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup water or milk
1 cup sour cream

it makes a really moist yet firm and dense cake. i've not had any problems with it. i get so many compliments on how yummy, moist and delicious my cakes are.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 13

I love the vanilla butter cake that is on here from the Mermaid Bakery (she is a CC member). It was my first ever scratch cake and was a delicous success!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4313-Vanilla-Butter-Cake-from-The-Mermaid-Bakery.html

I also like the Hershey chocolate cake from the back of the cocoa box. I have the WBH book and might try a chocolate butter cake this week when I make cupcakes for my SIL's 30th birthday. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I was a box-mix-extender-baker before this cake, now I'm a scratch girl! It's all what you like, what you are used to, what you want to do. Definitely personal preference, not necessarily what's right or wrong.

cvigil Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #11 of 13

I reall like David's Yellow Cake from here on CC. This is one of the yummiest yellow cakes I've ever made. In fact, I made a wedding cake with it and it was perfect. Everyone raved about it. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1216-Davids-Yellow-Cake.html My family loves it. For chocolate I also use the Hershey's recipe.

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #12 of 13

There are a couple of big threads, with recipes, on scratch cakes in the archives.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:32am
post #13 of 13

There are a couple of big threads, with recipes, on scratch cakes in the archives.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%