My First And Last Wedding Cake (Long!!)

Decorating By sweetsbycheryl Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm by Malakin

sweetsbycheryl Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 9

Well, this weekend I had my first wedding cake- and I don't think it went too well. First off, I had my chemotherapy treatment on Thursday (was supposed to be on Tuesday, but they couldn't get a vein for the IV), so I was really feeling lousy. I took the cake, a simple, three tiered white cake with fondant bands and a few flowers, to the site. the cake table was set up beside a door that was being opened and closed continually, and was in direct range of the speakers for the sound system. This three tiered cake was going onto a simple white pedestal stand. So I made them move the table. the second location chosen was in a very high traffic area. The table was very unstable, and I was concerned and told the planner so. She blew me off. It was very hot in the area due to the open door, and before I left, the top tier was already slightly tilted, I supported it with more dowels, but still was not very happy with the overall cake. How do I make this up to the bride? I am going to call and leave her a message to discuss the cake, but what do I offer in terms of a refund? the top tier was tilted slightly, and I truly value my customers- any advice would be greatly appreciated. The bride is on her honeymoon right this minute, but I do want her to know how badly I feel about this. Thanks!!

8 replies
wgoat5 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 9

One thing I want to do is hug you... You finished a cake feeling LOUSY with a capital L!!!!!! And I HOPE you got some rest!!!!! ( I am also praying your chemo is helping you)

2nd of all.. you tried... you tried to talk to the wedding planner... several times...

I'd tell the bride you tried to do so.... I am sure she will get on the PLANNER instead of you ..

mkolmar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with Christi. Talk to the bride and go from there.

potatocakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 9

Agree with above PP's. And don't be so quick to offer a refund! You did your part, and tried to voice your concerns about the table placement to the planner, who chose to ignore you. If something happened to the cake because of that, it's not your fault.

Don't stress about it! The important thing is to concentrate on your health!!! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

Cheryl-Munchkin, I think that's a good idea to not do any more tier cakes or any high pressure decorating beyond current skill level for pay until chemo time is completed. I mean do all the stuff you want to do but getting paid for it ramps up the amps on the electric stress levels.

You need peace and calm and creative outlets for sure but ixnay on the deadlines. Build a gingerbread house or something. Those are very forgiving and the sky is the limit on how creative you want to be and they will wait for you. Not to menion how tasty all the booboo's can be.

Feel better, Cake-Buddy. I can't believe you moved that cake around sick like that. If the bride contacts you make nice with her in whatever way is easiest/calmest.

sweetsbycheryl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the encouragement guys- I talked with the bride last night, who is a doll, BTW, and she said that the cake was fine, and no refund was necessary. She totally understood. As for the suggestion not to do any more high stress wedding cakes until the chemo is over, that is not an option. The type of chemo infusions I get are every six weeks for the rest of my life, unless they find a better drug to keep my condition under control. What I have is not life- threatening, just makes life a little bit more difficult. It usually takes 3-4 days after my infusion to start feeling better. Thanks again for all your support guys- it meant alot. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

Wow. Well then, hats off to you and bowing low. Great save, Cake-buddy.

So glad the bride was a sweetie and you didn't have to refund anything.

Take Care

melodyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 9

so glad your bride was so understanding!

good luck!

Malakin Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 9

Hope you feel better and it seems that you pulled off a monumental effort under the circumstances. Way to go. Nice bride to be so understanding and all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%