I Hate Red!!!

Baking By Joanne914 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm by yankeegal

Joanne914 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

Why oh why does red dry dark and splotchy????? icon_evil.gif I made some cookies last night, and this morning the red portions of the royal were all discolored! GRRRR...I sprinkled red sanding sugar over the red to cover the dark areas. Can anyone shed some light on why this happens or how to prevent this in the first place! Thanks!

4 replies
yankeegal Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 5

So sorry this happened to you...I had this happen a couple of weeks ago with some black-and the only thing I can think of was the humidity-and it affected the way the icing dried maybe?

Joanne914 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Jodie, it didn't "seem" humid" but who knows? I'm going to avoid red like the plague! After thought...I didn't let the red royal sit for any length of time. How long in advance do you usually make red before you use it?

kimsmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 5

I make my red, or black RI a day in advance because it was said that the colors will deepen over time. Still there are times when these dark colors "act up".
I would also like a fool-proof method of making these colors.

yankeegal Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 5

I always make my dark colors-red, burgandy, black, royal blue, etc...a day before as well-it will "deepen" overnight. I also use a hand mixer to mix in the dark colors-to make sure the color is evenly distributed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%