Problem With Kitchen Aid Mixer...advice Please

Decorating By yellowjacket Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm by yellowjacket

yellowjacket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowjacket Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 6

My sister was hosting a baby shower Saturday, and she asked me to make a cake for it. I was going to make a small 2 tiered cake, and I baked the cakes Thursday evening. Friday evening she came over to keep me company while I decorated. I pretty much always use SMBC, so I made up a huge batch, and after I added all the butter I let me 6 Qt Kitchen Aid mixer run for a while, usually takes about 10 minutes. We were sitting at the kitchen table, and couldn't see the mixer which was on the kitchen counter. All of the sudden I heard a very loud crash and then silence.

We ran over to the counter, and there on the floor was the mixer and all of the icing! I seriously think I was in shock! What had happened? Noone was even over there to knock it off then counter. And then I remembered reading reviews of mixers a few years ago before I bought mine, that some have had problems with it travelling across the counter. I've never had that problem whatsoever, but that's the only thing I can think of that happened. It wasn't even right on the edge, but about 6 inches back. I often leave my mixer unattended when making icing, and it's never even moved at all.

So of course I don't have enough eggs to make another batch. I salvage what I can, and the 2 tiered cake turned into 1 tier. The mixer was able to start again, but I haven' made anything, so hopefully it really does still work.

The biggest problem, is that when the mixer fell off the counter, it made hole a few dents in my hardwood floor! I'm so upset, and wouldn't even know how to fix it! It will definitely take professional, and probably not be cheap.

Should I call KitchenAid and complain? Are they liable at all? Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Thanks!

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah when the mixers are on high they can rock n roll quite a bit. I've never had one fully travel across the counter, but it does shake the living daylights out of everything. Unfortunately, Kitchen Aid will not be liable at all, since you left the mixer unattended.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 6

That is strange to me....mine doesn't move around on the counter top. It takes serious elbow grease just to move mine when cleaning. Maybe it depends on what your counter top is made of!

You might want to call Ghost Hunters!!! lol

yellowjacket Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, it was strange to me too! When I saw what happened, I just kind of looked at it, and thought...what just happened and how? Like I said, it's never even moved at all before, even on high. It's very noisy, but doesn't really shake even. (My countertops are Corian.)

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

Well then maybe we need to revisit the ghost theory... lol

yellowjacket Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, it must be a ghost! Just hope the ghost doesn't come back and bother me when I'm making a cake next time!

PinkZiab - I just noticed you're an intern at Pink Cake Box. How cool! I think their cakes are beautiful, and I have the website saved to my favorites!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%