Small Refrigerated Case For Cupcakes?

Business By jessieb578 Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 2:31pm by Amelie51

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 18

Ok, so I work full time and am in my shop on the weekend. I do cakes by order but I'm thinking of getting a small table top case to do cupcakes in to offer to sell on the weekends, nothing huge, maybe 2-3 feet wide, 2-3 feet tall. I have so many people walking in asking if I have anything to sell that I thought it might be good to start with something small?

Any ides first if this exists and second where I can find something like this?

17 replies
amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 18

you can search ebay for used equipment. there is a store on there that is in new york so you could probably save a lot on s&h

jessieb578 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 18

ha! I was just looking on ebay! I didn't see the one in NY though.

Do you think that it would have to be a refrigerated case??

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 18

Bakery display cases can come either refrigerated or non-refrigerated. Your Health Department can tell you which one you need, but it would mostly depend upon how you would ice your cupcakes.

If you use IMBC or SMBC, you would want them refrigerated because they can break down at a certain temp. Shortening based BC would not need to be kept cold.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 18

Oh, and I found a lot of good deals on used equipment on craigslist and a local supply store, who has the hook-ups on people who want to upgrade.

jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 18

Ohhh, Craigslist is a good idea too. Apparently there's a place in NYC which is close enough to me that sells all kinds of discount equipment. Restaurants open and close in the city so much that they have a lot of stuff to offer. I'll give that a shot too.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 18

jessieb - what happens when you can't keep up with the cupcake demand because you have cake orders to fill. Once you start offering those cc's people will hear about it and they will be in for more.......

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 18

We used to keep our cupcakes in a non refrigerated case...

Got way to busy making cakes ....to keep the cupcakes full....now i just do them by order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #9 of 18

Yes, they do exist ... I bought one 2 weeks ago off of craig's list. will take a pic tomorrow when I get to the shop.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 18

Since you said you are wanting to keep it small, IF you decide that it doesn't have to be refrigerated, then you could always do a series of covered cake plates on the counter. I'm attaching some pictures that I found on the internet of the basic idea I'm talking about. I think it makes a cute, quaint display.
LL
LL
LL

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 18

I love that idea. All of the cupcakes on the little stands looks beautiful!

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 18

Here's the one I got from Craig's List. I got the refrig. case and the shelf it's sitting on for $250. I like the shelf set-up because I can put orders-to-be-picked-up on the upper shelf and on the lower shelves, I keep some boxes, plastic gloves, small bags, etc.
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 18

Indy, is that for your new cookie shop? How is that going? Is it open for business?

indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 18

Yep, that's it! The front space turned out WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be, and I thought "Wow, I'll NEVER fill this space!" Well, I quickly got over that thought! Below is some pics I took today. I'm standing in the shop doorway and just started from left to right.

The big counter on the left was made by hubby over 10 years ago. It was in his dad's biz until they closed it this year, and we were very fortunate to get it back. It has 6 HUGE cubby spaces in the back of it. Behind this counter is a table/chairs for brides during samplings, and my desk area. I keep lots of wedding vendors' biz cards and brochures on here.

The photo-screen was a great find! It was trash day in our neighborhood and someone was throwing this out! I told my 15-year old "Get out and throw that in the van!" She said, "MOM!! SOmeone might see me!" I said, "Then you better move fast!!" icon_lol.gif I'm slowly filling it with cake and catering pics.

In the middle pic, I plan to get some kind of screen or drapery to hide the storage shelves that make up my "storage room", so please overlook that for now! icon_redface.gif

The cookie display case I got off of ebay for $112, plus a 10 hour drive to the other side of Columbus OH .... well worth it!

My favorite buy is the 3-pc table/bench units that I have the dummies on in the window area. I was shopping in Burlington Coat Factory and they had this at the front of the store with a for-sale sign on them ... I got all 3 pieces for $65!!! icon_surprised.gif And coincidentally, it matches the color of the counter hubby built!

I wish I could post the powerpoint slide I made ... I overlaid all 3 pics so it looks like one big photo! Cool!!

Sorry ... didn't mean to sidetrack the thread! icon_redface.gif
LL
LL
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 18

Wow!! Looks great! I LOVE the counter your hubby built! Red is my favorite color these days and I just love that counter!

I'm the one that hijacked....but if I didn't ask you now, I probably would forget to send you a PM! Silly blonde I am.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 18

Very cool shoppe. With something that good looking ya just have to have a dble p, and an e.

Mike

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:37am
post #17 of 18

We always make sure we have our case full of cupcakes, they are one of our biggest sellers on the cash and carry stuff. Check out a book called Hello Cupcake. Tons of cute ideas that kids love! The "pupcakes" on the cover are very popular.

Amelie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amelie51 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

Ok, so I work full time and am in my shop on the weekend. I do cakes by order but I'm thinking of getting a small table top case to do cupcakes in to offer to sell on the weekends, nothing huge, maybe 2-3 feet wide, 2-3 feet tall. I have so many people walking in asking if I have anything to sell that I thought it might be good to start with something small?

Any ides first if this exists and second where I can find something like this?

Hi Jessie...I too am looking for such a small display case for my new shoppe. Did you get any ideas. I'm opening in a couple of weeks and can't seem to find one. People are dropping in the store pre-opening when our doors are open while doing the construction and asking...will you have cupcakes to buy everyday????? If you did find something please let me know. Thanks...Oh and good luck to you!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%