Picture Of First Wedding Cake

Decorating By jjkarm Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 6:10am by jjkarm

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #31 of 45

That is a very pretty cake. I always love it when I see the detail work done in the same color as the background. It's so classy looking.

Your roses are gorgeous also! I haven't tried gum paste roses with a cutter yet. I need to get a cutter but when I finally try, I hope they come out as pretty as yours.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #32 of 45

Wow...I'm completely overwhelmed!!! I didn't expect to receive so many positive replies. I've never posted on a forum before and was a little hesitant to submit my picture, but I'm glad I did. There are so many professionals and great bakers on CC that it was a little intimidating....but everyone has made me feel welcome. I may even look into doing more wedding cakes or possibly buy a cake dummy or two and practice. Who knows?? I guess I should have branched out from only making my kid's birthday cakes a long time ago. Thanks again for all your compliments! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #33 of 45

I agree with everyone else. The colors are so elegant and those flowers are awesome.

I just have one silly question. If you and your husband had to stand on stock pots to erect the cake, how in the heck did they dismantle it during the reception? Just curious. (Crazy pictures keep running through my head.) icon_smile.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:17pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

Thanks for the replies, you are all so kind. The roses are made of gum paste, and I used the JEM rose cutter. However, I didn't follow the directions that came with the cutter. When I followed those instructions my roses kept coming out lopsided and they looked more like a "wild rose". I'm sure other people can follow the instructions and have their roses look wonderful! I just couldn't get the hang of it so I came up with a different way to do it. When I put the petals together in a little different way, the roses came out looking more like I wanted.

Please share with us your technique for putting the petals together. Your roses are just beautiful. Cheers

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #35 of 45

Ok , I'll be completely honest, ITS GORGEOUS, I hope my first wedding cake turns out that good. Your roses are beautiful. I'm too scared to even try corneli lace. Good for you, I'm sure the bride and groom were very very happy with the cake. Can't wait to see what you do next.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #36 of 45

that is a gorgeous cake!u should be wayy proud!
and omg ur roses!they are soo good!i too thought they were silk!
keep it up!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #37 of 45

Personally, I do not believe you... you have been making cakes for years and years and years, by the look of that picture icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif LOL

Seriously, if that is your first cake, I would love to see your 10th one! You have the gift, my friend. That cake is just flat out gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing it and making the rest of us ashamed that we did not do that well on our first ... or second ... or third ... icon_cry.gif

Did the heat from the lights /candles (what were they anyway?) under the cake affect the icing at all, after a period of time?

Let us all stand up and give you a cheer!!!!!

jjkarm Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #38 of 45

rmelendrez -- I'd be happy to share the rose instructions with you. After all, I never could have pulled off the cake if other CC'ers hadn't shared their tips or techniques. A nice person PM'ed me this morning asking for the same instructions. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to write them up so others could understand it. As soon as I have someone proof read it to make sure it's understandable, I'll post the instructions for the roses. thumbs_up.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #39 of 45

wow you did an awesome job!

jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #40 of 45

lutie-- the light you see is just the the light that's at the base of the Wilton fountain, so it didn't affect the cake at all.

Parable-- I was sitting at the back of the room talking with family when my husband said, "They're trying to take the cake down." I looked over and saw one of the bridesmaids and her boyfriend grabbing the bottom cake board trying to lift it off the fountain. Wouldn't you know....the cake table was a little wobbily as well, so it started rocking back and forth. My heart stopped! The bridesmaid had to reach up pretty high, so I thought for sure she'd end up with cake all over the front of her. Luckily, they didn't realized just how heavy a wedding cake is. When they couldn't lift the cake off, they looked around and found 4 other young men (each was pretty tall) to carry the cake into the kitchen. Whew!!!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:37am
post #41 of 45

jjkarm: that must have been so scary! Those cakes will tilt at the slightest movement... it is best to have a cake system, just for your peace of mind! (What happened to the caterer? Did she not have permission to move the cake instead of a bridesmaid?)

jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #42 of 45

lutie --The decorator supplied the cake table so I thought it would be stable, since they do receptions all the time! Anyway, the family was very tight on funds, (the mom is a single parent) so they did their own catering. I have to say they did do a nice job too. I think the bridesmaid and others were just trying to help out where they could. I wish they would have let me know when they wanted to serve the cake though. But I don't think anyone really thought it through. It's just nice to know everyone was willing to lend a helping hand. You know...family helping family.... icon_wink.gif

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #43 of 45

Your cake is gorgeous! I am sure you will get more requests for future cakes!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #44 of 45

I have to be honest, I just saw this topic and havent read any of the replies yet but... when I saw my first wedding cake ever this was NOT the kind of cake I expected to see! It is fabulous and I was in awe of how beautiful the cake was! Amazing job and congrats on the thriving future of your business!

jjkarm Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:10am
post #45 of 45

Here are the instruction for how I made the roses on my wedding cake. I hope it helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1236716.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%