Picture Of First Wedding Cake

Decorating By jjkarm Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 6:10am by jjkarm

jjkarm Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 45

I've been hovering on this website for a couple of months now and am amazed at how generous everyone is to share their tips and recipes! I just made my first wedding cake this past weekend for my niece. Heck...it's the first cake I've ever made for anyone else. Everything went very well, and I know I couldn't have done it without all the info I read on this website. Thank you soooo much! The only problem I had was the height of the table. I was told it would be the same height as a dining room table. Well, when I got there the table was actually 4 feet high! By the time I'd set up the fountain, I realized I wouldn't be able to reach high enough to place the top 2 tiers on the cake! I panicked a little but was glad no one was there to see me freak out! I ended up going in the kitchen and finding 2 big stock pots. If my husband and I each stood on top of a pot, we could reach high enough to finish stacking the cake. I'm sure it was a sight to see. The decorator looked a little baffled at what we were doing, but it worked! I'd like some honest critique on the cake....thanks again!
LL

44 replies
CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 45

What a gorgeous job you did icon_eek.gif You should be so proud. I to am so amazed of how this site helps you out. Any questions you have someone is there to give advice. Bravo CC we love you! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 45

You did an amazing job, this cake is beautiful!

butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 45

gorgeous cake! i think the cornelli lace (on the bottom & top tiers) is "suppose" to be closer together, but honestly, i like the open look, so i really think it's just a gorgeous cake all around!

Ruby2uesday Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 45

Oh wow! what a beautiful cake!!!! Great job! and your right! this site is WONDERFUL! So full of great information and wonderful people who share their insight and wisdom! WTG!!!

TexasTam Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 45

Did you do those flowers in gumpaste? If so they are beautiful. I love the cake. The colors are great and you should be very proud of yourself.

CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 45

I think this cake is beautiful and the cornelli lace looks wonderful. I can't do corneli lace to save my life - it always touches and thats a no-no, lol.

I have to know if those flowers are real or gumpaste - they look awesome! Great job!

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 45

i love the rounded look of each tier. beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif

Cakebelle Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 45

You did an amazing job! Congratulations! thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 45

I have the same question about the flowers. They are stunning.

kerri729 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 45

I am SPEECHLESS! Honestly, you are a natural, this is a perfect cake- absolutely STUNNING!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

louie750 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 45

I just posted my first wedding cake as well, and you just put me to shame. icon_redface.gif Its very beautiful.

jennifer7777 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 45

What a beautiful site to see! That cake is absolutely amazing. I love the colors and the entire table arrangement. The fountain adds a nice touch, too.

jjkarm Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 45

Thanks for the replies, you are all so kind. The roses are made of gum paste, and I used the JEM rose cutter. However, I didn't follow the directions that came with the cutter. When I followed those instructions my roses kept coming out lopsided and they looked more like a "wild rose". I'm sure other people can follow the instructions and have their roses look wonderful! I just couldn't get the hang of it so I came up with a different way to do it. When I put the petals together in a little different way, the roses came out looking more like I wanted.

justsweet Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 45

your cake is really beautiful

2kiddos Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 45

Beautiful cake, and gorgeous roses! I love the colors!
Incredible job for a 1st wedding cake!!!! Keep up the awesome work!

2kiddos Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 45

Beautiful cake, and gorgeous roses! I love the colors!
Incredible job for a 1st wedding cake!!!! Keep up the awesome work!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 45

That sucker is GORGEOUS!!! icon_eek.gif

How big is that cutter you used for the roses?! They look amazing!!

I too did my 1st wedding cake over the weekend, and I wished I had made more roses. Plus, they were small icon_confused.gif

Congrats! You did a great job!! icon_biggrin.gif

Muse Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #19 of 45

If that is your first cake then it definitely will not be your last! Very nicely done!

Darci

Reedsmomma Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 45

Gorgeous! You should be VERY, VERY proud! icon_biggrin.gif

butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #21 of 45

OMG, i didn't realize the roses were gumpaste, i thought there were silk... WOW!! Ok, you HAVE to upload this to your gallery, so i can save it to my favorites!

jjkarm Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 45

mom2spunkynbug--Thanks for the compliment. The sizes of cutters I used were 80 and 100.

mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #23 of 45

That cake is beautiful! I cannot believe it's your first attempt! It puts my first attempt to shame..lol! You are most def. a natural! icon_biggrin.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

OMG, i didn't realize the roses were gumpaste, i thought there were silk... WOW!! Ok, you HAVE to upload this to your gallery, so i can save it to my favorites!

I thought the same thing! I just thought it was silk flowers trailing around it! That puts it on a whole new WOW category! GREAT JOB!!!

misha35 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2uesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

I thought the same thing! I just thought it was silk flowers trailing around it! That puts it on a whole new WOW category! GREAT JOB!!!

I agree.... incredible flowers!!!!! Wow!!!!
Gorgeous cake. Fabulous job!

bashini Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:51am
post #26 of 45

Wow, that is really beautiful! I love the roses. icon_smile.gif

amycake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:25am
post #27 of 45

I am soooo amazed that is your first wedding cake. That is AWESOME. I love it. You should be very proud and I am sure the happy couple loved it.
amycake thumbs_up.gif

Kay_NL Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 45

That is gorgeous, and your roses look so real! add me to the list of people who hasn't mastered cornelli lace! icon_biggrin.gif Keep up the great work!!

kietabear Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:01pm
post #29 of 45

You did a wonderful job!

cakerygirl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #30 of 45

Fabulous job!!! Those roses are stunning! I will have to look into thse cutters as I love the size and look of those roses!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%