Dummy Wedding Cake (Help!)

Decorating By alicialee Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm by mindywith3boys

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a dummy cake for my friends wedding. the first 3 tiers will be dummies and the top tier will be real. I am also making sheet cakes for her wedding, i have planned to make the sheet cakes the day before her wedding, but im having trouble finding a good time to make the dummy cake! can i do it a whole week before the wedding???? how long will it last! also.... this is my first time working with cake dummies.... anyone have any advice or tips????? please help!

2 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 3

The dummies can be made weeks in advance. I made one for a competition over a month before the event (just keep it covered to keep the dust bunnies out).

Are you using BC or fondant? For fondant, you can lightly grease the dummy with shortening, piping gel, or corn syrup and apply the fondant. Since the dummy is so light you'll need a base to set it on to hold it in place. I have the Cake Wheel which has a turntable with nails sticking up to place the dummy on - but you can make your own out of plywood or foamcore and a few nails.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 3

I can't see why not. The cake shop in my hometown has cake dummies that have been sitting on her shelves for years. The only thing that you have to worry about in that if you are covering it in fondant, you might have a little fading. Other than that, I would do a search here for "dummies" or "dummy cake" there are already threads out there with all kinds of info in them. If you still can't find what you are looking for, try asking a specific question.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%