Pink Elmo :)

Decorating By alisoncooks Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 2:38am by wgoat5

alisoncooks Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 13

This is not a bona fide (sp?) disaster because the cake was for family and I'd just had a baby 6 days before (so I wasn't that concerned... icon_smile.gif

My DD was getting an Elmo face cake for her 2nd bday, ordered the pan off of ebay, was all set. I made my bc and for some reason it came out weird tasting. I usually use the Wilton proportions, except I sub in unsalted sweet cream butter, which I like. (I have also used regular salted butter and it was fine). This time my DH had to go out and buy my icing ingredients and he bought salted sweet cream butter. When I made my icing it was extremely buttery and odd tasting. We decided it was inedible so he ran out and just bought 2 tubs of store bought whipped icing (like I said, I'd just had a baby, didn't really care). Well, whipped icing turns to icing soup when you are adding coloring to it and stirring and stirring. My MIL was trying to tell me that "those Wilton gel colors are good! You only need a little to make red..." (HA--I knew better than that). Anyway, I eventually ran out of gel and managed to get a lovely magenta Elmo icon_smile.gif Ahh, who cares. DD ate it up and recognized that it was (supposed to be) Elmo, so all's well that ends well.

I would be interested to know ya'lls thoughts on the original bc situation. Anyone use unsalted sweet cream butter, regular butter, etc...what have you found to get the best results?

12 replies
Molly2 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 13

I use reg. butter but what I wanted to tell you is when I want my butter cream red I usally use the powder red it is sold in cake supply stores and it works great I have used the wiltons gel red it's not so I have also heard (never tried it) that red koll-aide work good also for read color.

Molly2

Beckalita Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 13

When I make red buttercream, I sub red liquid food coloring or red airbrush color for the liquid called for in the buttercream recipe. I need very little if any gel coloring to get a nice red after that.

TC123 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 13

Congratulations on your new baby!!!

When I make my buttercream recipes, I always use unsalted sweet cream butter (usually Land O' Lakes brand) and have never had complaints about any that I have made. I wonder what could have happened to yours?

When it comes to red, I ALWAYS have a problem. I like Americolor and ChefMaster colors. But I either get the shade of red I want and it tastes absolutely terrible (yes, even when I use Wilton's "no taste red"), or I get an off-shade. (There must be a forum on this topic somewhere on CC... icon_eek.gif )

Anyway.... party.gifparty.gifparty.gif Happy Birthday to the Birthday Girl!!! princess.gifprincess.gifprincess.gif

chovest Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 13

When I want a true red that tastes fairly decent, I cheat and buy a bucket from Sam's Club.

chovest Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 13

Forgot to say congrats on the new baby!

Don't forget to post a picture when you get a chance, I'm sure it's adorable and we'd all like to see it.

nicki9774 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 13

Ok, whipped icing is a little different than bc and it always comes lighter, but I just Wilton gels, I use pink till I get hot pink and then I add red no taste until I get red, obviously the longer it sits the more red it gets. So if your in a hurry or don't care then give it a little time.

Nicki

theclarinetter Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 13

I have to admit, I was confused for a second why you were making Elmo red, until I realized I was thinking of Grover. :0P

When I was little and watching Sesame Street, Grover was the 'in' monster.

Happy Birthday to the new little one!

bwonderful Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:53am
post #9 of 13

It was probably cute since it was for a girl! Plus did I read that right. You had just had a baby six days before?? My goodness... my child would have been lucky to get frosting with her cake if I had just had a baby. JK... I'm sure your cake was great and built with tons of love

Homemade-Goodies Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:20am
post #10 of 13

I wanna see magenta Elmo - post a pic! icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations on Charlotte's birthday, and Ivy's birth!!!

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #11 of 13

i wanna see a picture icon_biggrin.gif

cvigil Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #12 of 13

Somewhere on this lovely site someone posted how to get a nice "real" red. I use this method every time and have yet to be disapointed. icon_biggrin.gif
First start with yellow
2nd add orange
3rd add your red- I use Wilton's No taste red. Keep adding because at first, it will look like a wierd orangey red. Just as you start to panic and are ready to give up, voila! a perfect beautiful red. It works every time.
If you make it the night before, the next day it is really brighter thumbs_up.gif

HTH

wgoat5 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #13 of 13

When I want red I use ChefMaster red icon_smile.gif .. just a little goes a long way... AND you get a true red... also the black is a fav of mine also ... I never struggle with red and black anymore icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%