Fake Cakes..... How Much $$$

Business By korkyo Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:28am by CakeDiva73

korkyo Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #1 of 5

I have a request for fake cakes. Not sure why people think this is a good idea but I'll go for it.

Need to know how to figure a price for them. Price per inch?
Cost of foam adn icing X 2???
I just can't decide which is best.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:02am
post #2 of 5

This might be why they want fake cakes: http://www.smartmoney.com/deal-of-the-day/index.cfm?story=20080620-10-Ways-to-Cut-Wedding-Costs&cid=1012 If you read down a little ways, it suggests renting a fake cake for your wedding. People were talking about it in one of the other forums yesterday, the story was on some news show.

Anyhow, it's interesting to wonder if they want to buy cakes to rent out to people. It's not really any less trouble for you to make it out of styrofoam than it is to make a real cake, so don't shortchange yourself. It's never been the baking that's really time-consuming, but the decorating.

Juds2323 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 5

There is a great response from indydebi on this thread

aligotmatt Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:25am
post #4 of 5

I price it out as it would be a regular cake and charge 80%. only because I can make it at my leisure without the pressure of cake going stale... Otherwise the price and time is just about the cost of real cake!

CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #5 of 5

I offer fake cakes for half the price of regular cake. I respectfully disagree with those who say it's just the same as decorating real cake. These save hours of baking, torting, stacking, etc.....

Now don't get me wrong, I am no fake cake fan. If someone thinks they can get fake cake plus sheetcakes for cheaper than real cake, they are smokin' the good stuff and I am not afraid to tell them so. If someone just wants fake cake, however, I will do it at half off because using styro is much easier. Granted, if its a basketweave, I would charge accordingly.

I also offer them large fake cakes as the big bases in case they desire a huge cake for only 75 people (for example). So they can get the big base for half off to get a larger cake without paying too much more.

This theory and pricing doesn't work for everyone and that's okay.

And IndyDebi is very much correct......how is baking a bunch of cake, frosting, etc. and then decorating a totally different stacked cake going to cost less than frosting and decorating cake once? Again......people are smokin' the good stuff! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%