Chocolate Marshmallows

Decorating By ombaker Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm by projectqueen

ombaker Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 9

I found some at Target. Has anyone used this to make chocolate/brown MMF?

8 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 9

Oh yeah, I made MMF at Halloween with the chocolate marshmallows and it was yummy! It came out dark tannish - not really a true brown so if you want a darker brown, I recommend adding the food coloring to the wet marshamallows and it will give a nice, rich color. It also tastes chocolatey - my kids were picking at it all day long. icon_smile.gif

DaisyLisa17 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 9

MMMM!! The chocolate AND strawberry marshmallows are great and make delicious MMF!! I agree about the choc color... add some brown to the melted marshmallows for a better color. Have fun!!

kr1970 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 9

Has anyone used the chocolate marshmellows to achieve black MMF? Everytime i try to make black or dark colors my mmf gets crumbly and even adding shortening doesn't help. It makes me want to pull my hair out. Any other suggestions for black MMF would be very much appreciated- i've searched and searched...

DaisyLisa17 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 9

I bet starting off with the choc. marshmallows would help to get a darker color. When I color black BC, I like to start with choc. because it jumpstarts your color for you. The only thing with the choc marshmallows, they arent a very dark brown to begin with. But its worth a shot!

gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 9

Ages ago there was a discussion about chocolate marshmallows on here... someone said that theirs was only chocolate coated, not chocolate all the way through. just thought I'd tell you... icon_rolleyes.gif

gateaux Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 9

check out the kraft site for all the varieties.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/JetPuffed/Varieties/

All stores do not carry all types. Currently Taget in my area has the strawberry the multi colored and the chocolate flavored ones.

Just call the stores and ask if they can order them.

I have used the chocolate and the multi colored to start dark MMF it worked great.

Good Luck.

amandamotley Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 9

I just used the chocolate ones for black fondant for last weekend's cake. Mine were Kraft, and were chocolate all the way through. I did still have to add a substantial amount of the Wilton black, but nothing like I do starting with white.

projectqueen Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1970

Has anyone used the chocolate marshmellows to achieve black MMF? Everytime i try to make black or dark colors my mmf gets crumbly and even adding shortening doesn't help. It makes me want to pull my hair out. Any other suggestions for black MMF would be very much appreciated- i've searched and searched...

I use Americolor black gel and add it to the melted marshmallow/water mixture before I add the powdered sugar. Never had a problem with crumbly, usually if anything it's kind of sticky for me. Maybe you are adding too much ps?

The other option is Satin Ice fondant in black in the 2 pound bucket. Global Sugar Art has it on sale and I bought some and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having it already made when I just need a tiny bit for eyes or something like that. It's a real time-saver.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%