Gum Paste Basketweave??

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 1:09am by tannersmom

tannersmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to make a small basket cake and wanted to make the weave out of gum paste. Has anyone ever used gum paste? HOw do you get it to attach to the cake? Do you frost it first? Help!!!!

Thanks
Stephanie

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 4

Gumpaste? Are you putting it directly against the buttercream?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I'm trying to make a small basket cake and wanted to make the weave out of gum paste. Has anyone ever used gum paste? HOw do you get it to attach to the cake? Do you frost it first? Help!!!!

Thanks
Stephanie

If you're making a cake that people will eat, I don't think you want to make the weave out of gum paste--it gets rock hard and it doesn't taste very good.

You could weave fondant over buttercream, I suppose. You could roll or extrude ropes and apply it like you would pipe it. You can also thin fondant with water and make it pipeable, so you could probably pipe it on , too.

HTH
Rae

tannersmom Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 4

I'm just practicing on this cake. We aren't going to eat it. I wasn't sure if I put the gumpaste next to BC if it will melt. Right now, I have an unfrosted cake and I'm not sure if I want to use BC basketweave or try to use gumpaste? I don't know if the gum paste will even work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%