Decorating In Canada Without Access To Great U.s. Products

Decorating By jcmm1014 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm by cake-angel

jcmm1014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcmm1014 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #1 of 6

Just wondering where all my Canadian friends get their ingredients that our U.S. friends use. ie....Sweetex...Rich's Bettercreme, just to name a few. Do you pay the huge S&H or do you make do with what you can get your hands on ? I can't get anything but product from Michael's and you know what that means..Wilton's. icon_cry.gif ..It's OK but I sure would like to live next to the border sometimes...
Baking in Northern Alberta,
Susie icon_smile.gif

P.S.Don't ask someone here if they have HI ratio shortening. They will look at you like you have two heads. icon_confused.gif

P.P.S.S. What U.S. product would you most like to be able to walk into a store here and get off the shelf? icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

Why don't you call and ask www.creativecutters.com? Those people are very helpful and their phone is (905) 883-5638 or 1 888 805- 3444.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 6

I just have to add that even though I'm in the US I still don't have anywhere near me that sells anyting other than Wilton, so I feel your pain! I buy everything online, and I live in a fairly large city. It still stinks for cake supplies!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 6

Have you tried visiting www.cakescanada.com ? They have a great forum with lots of info and resources. HTH

citygirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirlcakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

I live in Nova Scotia and called a local bakery to ask where they get their supplies and they directed me to a bakery wholesaler in another city. I never would have found them otherwise. I then made arrangements with the bakery to have my supplies delivered to them and I pick them up when they arrive (since my orders are not very big, this works great for me). They have all sorts of flavourings, fillings, meringue powder, hi ratio shortening.... they basically carry everything. Except 4" high cake dummies! icon_sad.gif Also, a friend of mine mentioned she purchased a pail of fondant from the local grocery store (that makes wedding cakes). I had no idea you could do that... but it's something else to look into.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Susie!!! I am from the same neck of the woods as you are. I actually have purchased a fair amount online. I do not use hi ratio (I know exactly what looks you are refering to!!) I have mainly stuck to my buttercream recipe with half butter and half shortening and find it holds up quite well in our Alberta climate. Those in Ontario can get their high ratio at the bulk barns but unfortuneately that chain of stores has not made the treck into Alberta. For fondant you can buy it from the cakery cafe in GP or from SugarbeanCakes (also GP) or you can go to JB Wilton in Edmonton. Also if you have a bussiness licence you can order from Nicholson equiptment in Edmonton. There are a few suggestions anyway. For tools -- I have purchased quite a few of them online and find that the shipping can be quite reasonable even from the states if you make sure the shipping is through the US postal service and not through a courier. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%