Nfsc-Breaks Easily

Baking By fondantfrenzy Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm by cakedesigner59

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 10

This last batch of NFSC for some reason were all really easy to break. Does anyone know why? I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post, but it did all sorts fo search combinations to see if I can find a post in regards to it.

Can someone please give some ideas why this is happening other than it not baking long enough....? I do believe that they were baked long enough! TIA.....

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 10

Recipe mishap or rolled too thin might be possibilities.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 10

Was it a really warm day outside when you baked? The heat will definitely affect the cookies! I know that from experience!

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 10

One word. Humidity. I have found that during these humid months the cookies will definitely break easier. Try making squares, circles, rectangles and put your design on these. These shapes don't break as easily. Good luck!

Susan

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

Yes exactly that. I was thinking to myself..what in the heck did i do wrong...i think i had like 15 cookies break....it was very frustrating. So i guess there is no way to get around it huh?

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 10

Hi,
You can get a dehumidifier and put it in the room with the cookies. That will help a ton!!

After mine are dry I bag them, and put them in the freezer..they don't break!!

~JoAnn

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 10

I bake my cookies and freeze them immediatley after they cool.Freezing somehow makes them stronger even if you intend to ice them that day...freeze them for about an hour or two.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I bake my cookies and freeze them immediatley after they cool.Freezing somehow makes them stronger even if you intend to ice them that day...freeze them for about an hour or two.

How long do you thaw before you decorate?

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 10

I roll mine pretty thick, about 3/8" and I find that really helps. If I have a cookie that is fragile, I will package it with cake board cut to the cello bag size behind it. One thing though - if you are a perfectionist like me, you may not like the butter stain you can get from the cookie onto the board. To prevent that, I will insert a piece of acetate between the board and the cookie. Next time I will try a piece of colored cello in between for color. Hope this helps!

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, Tracy. I'm going to roll them thicker next time, bake them longer and at a lower temp. I think that helps, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%