How To Make Cascade Using Buttercream/ri Roses?

Decorating By wildflower Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm by jenbenjr

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 11

hi all i was doing a practice cake yesterday where i tried cascading roses down from the first tier to the second etc but i couldnt get them[the roses]to stay on the sides...i have seen some cakes with the kind of cascade im talking about and m pretty sure the roses were ri or buttecreams so does anyone have any idea what i could do to achieve that effect?
im going to do another practice cake later this week so id love to know what ur suggestions are
thanx!
[my roses wereent completly dried when i was attempting this,is that a possibel reason?]

10 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 11

Not exactly sure if this is the advice you are looking for, but I kind of cascaded my RI flowers down the side of my cake after they were dry. I attached them with RI to the fondant side of the cake and filled in the blank spaces with RI leaves. It the peach colored flowers cascading down the two tiers in my photos.[/quote]

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 11

I have a simple little cake in my gallery from Wiltons Course 3, with flowers cascading down. I have a wedding cake with leaves cascading down. The flowers are GP and there was wire inserted into the center and given some time to dry. Once you have all you flowers done, you start taking the wires and twisting them together to get one long vine. You can also take single ones and using the wire insert them into the side of the cake. Some people use toothpicks.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry, wanted to add: with buttercream, I would do it the same way since there are bases and they need time to set.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

I never use wire or toothpicks or anything. I make my roses out of BC.

Check this thread from yesterday for a pic and add'l info ... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592031.html

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 11

I made a cascade several years ago (my !st and only wedding cake ever) and made the BC roses days in advance to dry. However, after attaching the roses with BC and lots of BC leaves the weight of all started pulling the icing down and actually off the side of the cake. It was frustrating. I wish I had asked a bunch of questions here beforehand. Somehow I got it back together again and delivered in tact.

The one thing I wish I had known about was using popcicle sticks as support for some of the roses.

wildflower Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #7 of 11

hmmm,yea im scared of that happening too
i should mention the cakes i want to do this for would only be bc not fondant covered...really appreciate the tips though!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower

hmmm,yea im scared of that happening too
i should mention the cakes i want to do this for would only be bc not fondant covered...really appreciate the tips though!

Mine was all BC. You can see it in my photos.

wildflower Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 11

how did u use the popsicle sticks as support?

wildflower Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 11

ooo srrry another question for parable,did u attach the liliies the same way?
thnx soo much again for the help!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 11

I have used toothpicks before. I made my roses out of bc and I always freeze them for a minute or two to get them to set. I then carefully stuck the toothpick up through the bottom of the rose and stuck it in the side of the cake. The cake is the purple rose birthday cake in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%