Airbrush Cleaner

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm by Kiddiekakes

SpudCake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

I just bought an airbrush and with it I also bought airbrush cleaner. I only bought the small eight ounce bottle and used half of that already with one cleaning. My question is to those of you with airbrushes, do you use the cleaner or do you just use dish soap? I am wondering if it is necessary to buy the cleaner at all. Is there some sort of lubricant in the cleaner is that why it is used?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

7 replies
Molly2 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 8

I have a airbrush that hubby brought me from kopykakes I use only the cleaner and I clean it as I change colors and when I'm finish I'll give it one last cleaning so far (knock on wood) I have not had any problem with it I do read horror stories on this site with people having problems ( it makes me wonder if they are not cleaning it correctly) as for me I'll keeping buying the cleaner

Molly2

msauer Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 8

I have an airbrush and use it all the time. You can certainly use the airbrush cleaner they sell, but you can also just use Windex....of course you have to run lot of hot water through it (just like with the cleaner), but its much cheaper...and you usually ALWAYS have it in the house.

Recently at an ICES event the rep from Bakery Crafts (who sell the cleaner too) suggested decorators use Windex as well.

I've also used clear vodka from time to time to clean it out- which doesn't leave any taste behind.

Have fun with your new airbrush...you're gonna love it!!!

-Michelle

LSW Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 8

I usually use water to clean it in between colors. My instructor gave us a neat tip to use for cleaning and it works! I started working at a bakery as a decorator after a girl who hardly cleaned the airbrush. Drop a denture tablet in water and put the airbrush in to soak, I tried this and the airbrush came out sparkling clean so I started doing it at home. I just use the store brand and stock up when they are on sale.

loriemoms Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

I have a really good airbrush and I just run some vodka through it when I am done, and then run the air through it to "dry it". Works great, no clogs, and its cheap! (I buy super duper cheap who would drink this stuff unless you are a wino on the street vodka....(No offense any of you winos reading this!)

bisbqueenb Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 8

My airbrush is still like new [probably 30 years old now] and all I ever use is the denture tablets and hot water. I think it was in a class with Francis Kyper we learned that trick.

SpudCake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 8

Well it looks like I may have to try the denture tablets. Thanks for all the great tips.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

I have also heard to use vinegar water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%