What's The Best Tasting Fondant?

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm by cb_one

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:58am
post #1 of 42

I currently make MMF when i need to use fondant. I was wondering if anyone would share with me a recipe for fondant that is better in flavor. The MMF is pretty good compared to some, but i'm sure there's better!!! icon_biggrin.gif

41 replies
angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 42

I like to make mmf and still use it but just recently I purchased Satin Ice and I love it! Its so easy to work with and it taste good too.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 42

I vote Satin Ice too. Definitely the best I've ever tasted!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 42

Cream Cheese fondant tastes good. I've only made it flavored with mint and it tastes like cream cheese mints.

SophiBelle's Jello fondant is also good. It will tast like whatever flavor Jello you use and of course will have that color.

I just got a sample of Fondarific, and boy is that stuff nice! They have a buttercream flavor and fruit flavors that taste like skittles/starbursts. It is not sticky at all, has a very nice feel working with it and has a good mouth feel too.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 42

Cream Cheese fondant tastes good. I've only made it flavored with mint and it tastes like cream cheese mints.

SophiBelle's Jello fondant is also good. It will tast like whatever flavor Jello you use and of course will have that color.

I just got a sample of Fondarific, and boy is that stuff nice! They have a buttercream flavor and fruit flavors that taste like skittles/starbursts. It is not sticky at all, has a very nice feel working with it and has a good mouth feel too.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 42

I've heard that michele foster's fondant is amazing. can't vouch for it myself though!

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 42

By far the best tasting fondant I have used is Choco-Pan.
The packaged Wilton fondant is great for learning fondant techniques, but tastes like Clay.
Satin ice is very nice to work with & has a nice flavor & texture.
Choco-Pan is very palatable. it has a white chocolate flavor & pleasing texture. It has a greater yeild than most as well.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 42

Michele Foster's for me! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 42

Choco pan for me. A little harder to work with, but worth it in the taste department.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 42

I found the choco-pan recipe in cc recipes it's not rated very well I wonder why? This Sophibelle's Jello fondant I can't find is this something you must order it's sounds great?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 42
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 42

I like the Satin Ice for taste and easy workability. Choco-pan is a little sweet for me. I still haven't mastered making fondant but I've heard Michelle Foster's fondant is amazing. I am wondering about the cream cheese fondant -- where is that recipe??

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 42

I'm not a fan of SI. I don't why some really like the taste because to me it tastes manufactured (like vanilla flavored Play Dough). It also dries too fast and too hard.

I've been wanting to try FondX as I've heard from other's who don't like SI but they do like FondX. Chocopan is too soft IMO.

But I am a die-hard MMF fan. I add 1 tsp of popcorn salt which really helps cut the excess sweetness, 1 T of glycerine to make it more pliable, and I use a dram of LoRann butter flavor. It tastes like BC! I also like the taste of it with Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 42

I currently use Satin Ice but I also have tried and like Pettinice. I recently did a class with Bronwen Weber and she uses FondX so that's what we used and I like that too.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #15 of 42

I checked out Fondarific's website and it does sound enticing, but $33 for 5lbs is way too high for me.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #16 of 42

I have always used a recipe very similar to Michele Foster's. It's especially delicious when flavored with creme bouquet. But I also sometimes use Lorann candy flavorings if I need a different specific flavor.

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 42

Thanks for this post--I've only tried the MMF and Tobas...excited to try some of the others. Seems like when you make it , it always vary in recipe (amt of 10x etc) for texture.

CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #18 of 42

Thanks cakedecoratingsmything!! I'm going to try this soon!! I currently use rhonda's ultimate mmf. I always seem to get tears & it's not so easy to work with making flowers.

CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #19 of 42

Where can I find this creme bouquet??

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #20 of 42

Just Google creme bouquet (or use any other Internet search engine of your choice.)

You can only get it online and at cake decorating specialty stores.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #21 of 42

[quote="pamconn"]Cream Cheese fondant tastes good. I've only made it flavored with mint and it tastes like cream cheese mints.
quote]

I decided to make cream cheese fondant after HATING Wilton... Ew. I posted my recipe in the recipe section:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7060-0-Cream-Cheese-base-fondant.html

You can flavor it however you want, even chocolate! I'm partial to the almond flavor, but I have to agree, the mint is VERY tasty!

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #22 of 42

For ready made, Satin Ice. I have switched to home made though because at this time I have more time than money for supplies. Both Michelle Foster's and Rhonda's are very good. I tend to make Rhonda's more often because the ingredient cost is less, and it is less time consuming. I will have to try the suggestion of the LorAnn flavor.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #23 of 42

Thanks Kansaswolf!! I had done a search for it and found nothing. Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #24 of 42

do anybody knows the recipe for cream cheese fondant ill like to try it and michell foster is a brand or a persons recipe ,ill be very grateful for the informations,i think i miss something
LL

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #25 of 42
danizabe Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #26 of 42

thank you,iam going to try this,now i need the cream cheese one icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #27 of 42

I think you missed a previous post. kansaswolf gave a link to the cream cheese one. I'm so glad you asked this question. I've been looking for these too!

CocoaBlondie Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 11:19am
post #28 of 42

I found this on the site but have not personaly tried it....
Cream Cheese base fondant

Serves/Yields: Covers one cake-mix cake
Prep. Time: 10-15 mins
Cook Time:
Category: Fondant/Gumpaste/Sugarpaste
Difficulty: Moderate

This is a recipe I came up with myself after a horrible experience with tasting Wilton fondant. It uses ingredients that are either in your kitchen, or will be easy to find. Now, FAIR WARNING: this is a soft fondant and is prone to breaking and tearing more than Wilton. I don't know how it compares to Satin Ice or Chocopan, because I've never used anything but this and...Wilton... It may be harder to get PERFECTLY smooth sides, but the taste is to DIE for... All the cakes in my pictures are made with this fondant, except the baby shower cake, if you're wondering how it looks. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

8 oz softened cream cheese (I prefer Philly, but other brands may be fine)
2 lbs powdered sugar (NOTE: the amount of PS required will depend on the humidity, altitude, etc.)
1/4-1/2 c. cornstarch
2 tbs corn syrup
1-2 tsp CLEAR vanilla
1-2 tsp almond extract

1. Put cream cheese and half of PS in bowl, mix until smooth. (I mix by hand, but a heavy-duty mixer on low with a bread hook or equivalent would probably work as well)

2. Put half REMAINING PS (1/2 lb) in cream cheese with cornstarch, corn syrup, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix until smooth.

3. Take out of mixer and knead in as much PS as is needed for fondant to be smooth and ALMOST not sticky. If too much PS is added at this point, it will not roll properly. You probably will not need all the powdered sugar called for.

4. Roll out and cover cakes as you would with regular fondant. Also good for figurines, dries well for bows and other decorations. It may not roll out thin enough for realistic flowers, but I don't make those.

OTHER FLAVORS: Substitute any extract or flavoring in place of the almond. For example, I've used mint flavoring and topped chocolate cakes with GREAT success...

Chocolate fondant: Substitute 1/4-1/2 cup cocoa in place of cornstarch. Omit almond flavoring.
Source: Jennifer Suchman
Contributed by: kansaswolf on Tuesday, May 06. 2008 at 22:15:31

More Recipes of kansaswolf

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #29 of 42

if i were to use the loranns flavoring... do you use it like normal (ex. 1 tsp) or just a few drops???

danizabe Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #30 of 42

icon_biggrin.gif thankyou for the recipe,as soon as i try it ill let you know how was it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%