Excess Cake Batter

Decorating By LadyMike Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 9:25am by LadyMike

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 7:38am
post #1 of 5

I know that we are supposed to use all of the cake batter immediately after mixing, but sometimes when using certain types of cake pans, I will have some of the cake batter left-over.

How long can it sit before using it? Like, can it rest until the first cake is baked, then bake it? And, should it be refrigerated?

Does it have to be used the same day, or can I refrigerate it until the next day or so before using it?

And, does this apply to cake mixes, from scratch batters, and doctored mixes?

TIA
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

4 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:16am
post #2 of 5

I scratch bake and if I have leftover batter, I cook the main cake first and then either make cupcakes from the rest, or a smaller cake when it's done. I just leave the batter at room temp. HTH!

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:43am
post #3 of 5

I also scratch bake - lol
but if i have batter left over, then i too make cup cakes, or mini cakes or a smaller one from the left overs

but i do place mine in the fridge, if need be till i can use it - prefferably the same day - if placed in the fridge, it stalls the raising agent or something like that - that is if you need to store it for a few hours, that is what i was told - lol but if it is only 30 minutes to 1 hour, then i never refrigerate it, just leave it on the couter in a cool place
hope that helps

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:50am
post #4 of 5

I'm also a scratch baker and I use leftover batter for making cupcakes or minicakes. The maximum I leave it out for is one hour.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:25am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for responding. I never got any notifications letting me know that anyone had replied. icon_confused.gif I just thought no one answered. I'm glad to hear about the "from scratch" batter. Depending on the flavor of the cake I'm making, I may use any one of the 3 ways - from scratch, doctored box mixes, or just box mix. You all have pretty much answered the questions I need for the scratch cakes and I'm pretty sure that it will work that way on the other two as well. Thanks again. You guys are great! thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%